Bible Verses on fasting
The act of fasting is simply going without food, drink or both for a period of time. Christians have done it in the past as an act of prayer, penitence, a show of faith... there were many reasons why it was done. In fact, there are lots of cases of Biblical figures fasting. Jesus himself fasted for 40 days and 40 nights in the desert - this is commonly known as the Temptation of Christ.
These Bible verses about fasting will hopefully explain to you why and when people fast.
- Nehemiah 1 :4 And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven, —
- Psalms 69 :10 When I wept, and chastened my soul with fasting, that was to my reproach. —
- Daniel 10 :3 I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled. —
- Matthew 4 :2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred. —
- Luke 4 :2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered. —
- Luke 18 :12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. —
- Acts 13 :2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. —
- Acts 13 :3 And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away. —
- Acts 14 :23 And when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed. —