Tim Tebow is a cultural phenemonon garnering attention around the globe. “Tebowing” became a craze two football seasons ago and although not starting in New York for the Jets this past season hopes are high as he was picked up by the powerhouse New England Patriots late in the offseason. Just when it looked like Tebow had lost his place in the NFL, Patriots owner Robert Kraft welcomed him to the team saying "Tebow was a very appealing prospect because of his strong spiritual beliefs." Tim is such a great and outspoken representative of the Christian community that his quotes have become a popular discussion topic. Here are 12 awe inspiring Tim Tebow quotes from a very smart and faithful young man.
12. “As a competitor and an athlete, you have to believe in the people who believe in you.”
This rings true for all things in life we must have a support system and rely on it when necessary.
11. “My passion is kids, more than just kids is underprivileged kids and orphans.”
Tim’s true character shines through when we see him interacting with kids. Leading by example he demonstrates having no shame in having a personal relationship with Christ.
10. “You and I were created by God to be so much more than normal….Following the crowd is not a winning approach to life. In the end it’s a loser’s game, because we never become who God created us to be trying to be like everybody else.”
I am reminded of quote my High School football coach who would always repeat two quotes that stuck with me firstly “It’s a great day to be alive” which still plays over in my mind. As well as “ Be EXTRAordinary”, it was the way he would emphasize EXTRA and made us as teenagers reevaluate our definition and understanding of the word.
9. “The lows are disappointing but that makes the high much sweeter, that’s what drives me.”
We’ve all been there, feeling the elation of a success in our lives and wishing we could bottle that emotion and hold on to it. As they say “ the rain makes the sunshine that much better.”
8. “ I grabbed my mom and I went to the couch and I said, ‘Mom I want to ask Jesus to come into my heart.’ And I got on my knee and I asked Jesus to come into my heart, forgive me of my sins, and make me a child of God.”
What an amazing story! In my opinion this is convicting evidence of pre-destination to many believers. This would explain the passion we see Tebow walk through life with. Amen
7. “ It was huge to read the proverbs of the day every morning, it was huge to read the psalm of the day every morning and to get that in us and get us going before the day even started.”
This is a technique also used by legendary FSU Head Football Coach Bobby Bowden who said he would get up at 4 a.m. and read the Bible with his wife. What if everyone started their day with a psalm or a bible verse, I know when I hear that one verse in the morning I can carry it with me the rest of the day and rely on it.
6. “You know I think he does care about how we play on the field, more than anything more than win or lose our hearts on the field.”
Often times when some serious circumstance takes place around a sport, we hear people come out and say, “ Football is just a game and there are much more important things in life other than a sport. Now this is very true but I think what Tim is speaking to here is that God does care how we apply ourselves to every facet of our lives, as every moment is a chance to glorify or worship or meditate on our “King.”
5. “ We have to humble ourselves and the way you do that is by serving other people.”
I love this one, this an approach I use in the workplace, to think to myself I am here to serve and provide for my family, so I have no need or desire to get caught up in any drama, bickering, or squabbling, etc. I learned this attitude by reading the epistles from the Bible.
4. “And that’s the great thing about living the Christian life and trying to live by faith, is you’re trying to get better every day. You’re trying to improve.”
This is the standard by which the world evolves. If you are not doing as good or better than your previous effort, than you are at risk of getting passed over or left behind. Reading the bible and attending worship are the two best ways to stay on top of your Christian walk.
3. "People often seem to think that when you’re following the Lord and trying to do his will, your path will always be clear, the decisions smooth and easy, and life will be lived happily ever after and all of that. Sometimes that may be true, but I’ve found that more often, it’s not. The muddled decisions still seem muddled, bad things still happen to believers, and great things can happen to nonbelievers. When it comes to making our decisions, the key that God is concerned with is that we are seeking and trusting Him. God’s desire is for us to align our live’s with His Word and His Will. "
A sensible reminder that God makes all things work for good. So even during trials we should be thankful in all circumstances. Carry an “Attitude of Gratitude” in our every day lives, and remember nothing comes to us that hasn’t passed through him. He doesn’t give us more than we can handle.
2. “And so I look at it as a relationship that I have with Him that I want to give Him the honor and glory anytime I have the opportunity. And then right after I give Him the honor and glory, I always try to give my teammates the honor and glory. And that’s how it works because Christ comes first in my life, and then my family, and then my teammates.”
Tim actually lives out this out for all of us to see in all of his humble successes. Tim has achieved so much at such a young age, he is beyond his years in dedication and maturity. And now the sky is the limit for his future, and we all have fun watching him play his heart out in faith to God.
1. "If you’re married, and you have a wife, is it good enough to only say to your wife ‘I love her’ the day you get married? Or should you tell her every single day when you wake up and every opportunity? And that’s how I feel about my relationship with Jesus Christ is that it is the most important thing in my life.”
This is one of my favorite Tebow quotes because my Wife and I say ‘I love you’ all the time and it is very important. Every opportunity should be taken also to share your day, your journey with your Lord and Savior, to me it gives life meaning and is very satisfying. The Holy Spirit needs to be nurtured and grown in all of us.
"The Truth" Isaiah 40:31 But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like Eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.
As you can see from these awesome Tim Tebow quotes, he is a blessing as a Christian public sports figure and celebrity. We will certainly follow the rest of his career as a New York Jet or wherever God’s Will would have him land in future years. His deep faith is probable to see more future successes perhaps even one day leading an NFL team to a super bowl win. I hope you enjoyed these quotes from a great Christian leader, Tim Tebow.
What do you think of Tim Tebow? Are you a Fan? Share with us in the comments!
Resources: youtube, ESV Holy Bible, Photo Credit: Flickr by depshots