There are few books that stand against the superb excellence that is “The Chronicles Of Narnia”. C.S. Lewis captivated our hearts and minds with Edmund, Lucy, Susan, and Peter Pevensie as they started their journey into Narnia through a Wardrobe. From that moment they went through many wonderful encounters meeting friends along the way. They also went through many perils in their journey as well. And of course, Aslan must be mentioned, since he is symbolic of Christ! The scene where the mice are eating through the ropes that tied him down in “The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe” is so powerful! Here are 10 powerful quotes from the Chronicles of Narnia series! Most of these involve Aslan because He is central to the entire theme of these books. These are in no particular order.
Top 10 Chronicles of Narnia Quotes
10. “’Aslan a man!’ said Mr. Beaver sternly. ‘Certainly not. I tell you He is the King of the wood and the Son of the great Emperor-Beyond-the-Sea. Don’t you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion—the Lion, the Great Lion!’” (The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe)
9. “’To know what would have happened, child?’ said Aslan. ‘No. Nobody is ever told that.’”
“’Oh dear,’ said Lucy.’”
“’But anyone can find out what will happen,’ said Aslan. ‘If you go back to the others now, and wake them up; and tell them you have seen Me again; and that you must all get up at once and follow Me—what will happen? There is only one way of finding out.’” (Prince Caspian)
8. In a dream Eustace, the dragon, attempts to shed his skin 3 times with no avail. Then Aslan says, “you will have to let Me undress you.” The following quote comes after.
“’Well, He peeled the beastly stuff right off—just as I thought I’d done it myself the other three times, only they hadn’t hurt—and there was it was lying on the grass; only ever so much thicker, and darker, and more knobbly looking than the others had been. And there was I as smooth and soft as a peeled switch and smaller than I had been...after a bit the Lion took me out (of the well where he was bathing after his skin was peeled by Aslan) and dressed me—‘“
“’Dressed you. With His paws?’”
“’Well, I don’t exactly remember that bit. But He did somehow or other: in new clothes.’” (The Voyage Of The “Dawn Treader”)
Isaiah 61:10 – “I will greatly rejoice in the Lord; my soul shall exult in my God, for He has clothed me with the garments of salvation; He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself like a priest with a beautiful headdress, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.”
7. Christ calls us to take up our cross daily and follow Him. We don’t know what the future holds. We only know that we need to trust that He already knows and that even unto death we should go where He leads us. That is why I love this next quote! And remember, Aslan is symbolic of Christ in this series.
“’You see, Aslan didn’t tell Pole what would happen. He only told her what to do. That fellow (the Black Knight) will be the death of us once he’s up, I shouldn’t wonder. But that doesn’t let us off following the Sign.” (The Silver Chair)
6. Forgiveness is always available until the end when it is too late. That is why I love this next quote.
“’Rabadash,’ said Aslan. ‘Take heed. Your doom is very near, but you may still avoid it. Forget your pride (what have you to be proud of?) and your anger (who has done you wrong?) and accept the mercy of these good kings.’” (The Horse And His Boy)
5. In this next quote I can hear Satan saying something foolish like this. He has already lost the war!
“The queen gave a contemptuous smile. ‘Many great kings,’ she said, ‘thought they could stand against the House of Charn. But they all fell, and their very names are forgotten. Foolish boy! Do you think that I, with my beauty and my Magic, will not have your whole world at my feet before a year has passed?’” (The Magician’s Nephew)
Philippians 2:9-11 – “Therefore God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in Heaven and on earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”
4. Those who have refused Christ do not understand that they walk in darkness. That is why I chose this next quote.
“’You see,’ said Aslan. ‘They will not let us help them. They have chosen cunning instead of belief. Their prison is only in their own minds, yet they are in that prison; and so afraid of being taken in that they cannot be taken out.’” (The Last Battle)
Psalm 82:5 – “They have neither knowledge nor understanding, they walk about in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are shaken.””
3. As I said in the beginning, I love the scene where the mice eat away at the ropes tying down the already dead Aslan. Then after He is resurrected he gives a speech that brings us symbolically to the cross which Christ died on for us.
“’It means’, said Aslan, ‘that though the Witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of Time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and the darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor’s stead, the Table (symbolic of the veil torn in the temple after Christ gave up His spirit) would crack and Death itself would start working backwards.” (The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe)
2. Unfortunately today there are many who would deceive others for their own detestable deeds. They look without blemish on the outside, but on the inside they are corrupted and filthy. Here is a quote describing just that. We need to pray for those who need Christ!
“Wouldn’t it be dreadful if some day in our own world, at home, men started going wild inside, like the animals here, and still looked like men, so that you’d never know which were which?” (Prince Caspian)
1. Jesus’ words are so powerful that the sea would freeze immediately at His command! That is why I like this next quote. It shows the power of Aslan’s voice.
“He (Aslan) raised His head and roared ‘Now it is time!’ then louder ‘Time!’; then so loud that it could have shaken the stars, ‘TIME!’ The Door flew open.’” (The Last Battle)
“You’re a man! You’re a Lion! You are honest and You’re important. You are Holy and when You speak, Your words will shake the foundations of the earth! You are my beloved!” (My Blood, Impending Doom)
Chronicles of Narnia Quotes: Conclusion
These are 10 of many powerful quotes you can read in the Chronicles Of Narnia series! Have you read these books? If not you should check them out. They are very easy to read and they are also very quick reads too. These are perfect books to get you children into reading too! God bless!
Resources- Youtube, photo credit: pexels