2009 International Dragon Boat Race - Asia - Today's Christian Videos
The Chinese dragon boat races was celebrated on 28 May 2009 [Lunar:5th day of May] will always be a symbol of Chinese culture and spirit. As one of the three largest Chinese festivals of the year, this mythical celebration can now be witnessed around the world. To experience a dragon boat race - either watching or participating - is a thrill in itself and can be enjoyed by everyone.
You'll watch as long, multicoloured boats, with frightening dragons' heads, long tails, and scaley bodies, splash through the water. You'll see men, women, and children grunt and sweat as they push themselves harder and faster to be the first to the finish line. You'll hear the crowds screaming and cheering for their favourite team, while the drummers pound on their drums and yell at the paddlers. The event is not intended to be quiet and peaceful but loud and exciting - a celebration!
To observe the Chinese dragon boat races of today, you can only dream of its meagre beginnings. A time when superstition determined how a person lived. In fact, dragon boat racing began more than 2000 years ago when a group of superstitious people believed that the boat racing would ensure prosperous and bountiful crops. Their celebrations took place on the summer solstice - the time of year typically associated with disease and death and when man felt most helpless against the powers of nature. The race has come to symbolize both man's struggle against nature and his fight against dangerous enemies.
The tragic tale of Ch'u Yuan further integrated the dragon boat races into the lives of the Chinese.
Many kingdoms had already disappeared, except for Ch'u, which was one of the mightiest kingdoms remaining. Ch'u Yuan was a poet and a minister and councillor to the king of Ch'u - truly a great patriot. He feared for the future of his kingdom and to do the best for his country, he gave advice to the king. To his surprise, the advice was not accepted and he was exiled. At th
More videos from this user
Recommended for you
- Wedding - Love 好好戀愛 You; Pt IInolimbs00:04:22287 views
- 50th KIBC Anniversary Dinner Pt IIInolimbs00:04:37201 views
- 50th KIBC Anniversary Dinner IInolimbs00:04:29222 views
- 50th KIBC Anniversary Dinner Inolimbs00:05:17210 views
- Dance For All 香港起舞nolimbs00:05:19277 views
- Young & Gifted Artistsnolimbs00:04:30199 views
- Live Young - Goal Motivationnolimbs00:04:25309 views
- 2010 Feast of Passover & Easternolimbs00:04:00659 views
- Confucius, the Philisophernolimbs00:04:321,059 views
- Christmas in Europe - Germanynolimbs00:04:521,025 views
- Spirit of Christmas in Hong Kongnolimbs00:06:20937 views
- Hong Kong 2009 East Asian Gamesnolimbs00:04:001,222 views
- The Founding of A Republic - 60th Anniversary (2)nolimbs00:08:001,345 views
- The Founding of A Republic - 60th Anniversarynolimbs00:06:571,279 views
- Lavender - Anointing Oilsnolimbs00:05:151,373 views
- Total Solar Eclipse Pt 1 - Cantonesenolimbs00:04:001,016 views
- Three (3) Soong Sistersnolimbs00:05:151,107 views
- Dr Sun Yatsen & Soong Ching Lingnolimbs00:06:101,844 views
- 2009 International Dragon Boat Race - Asia & Pacificnolimbs00:04:531,084 views
- 2009 Children's Day In Chinanolimbs00:05:05848 views