LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
As a single woman, for years my view of marriage was based more on what it takes from a life than what it can add to it. But over time, I've been able to better understand marriage by studying God's Word.
In 1 Corinthians 7:8-9, Paul's general advice is that it's better to stay unmarried because of the opportunities it provides to serve Christ without distraction. The reasons given are: (1) Single people will not have to deal with the unique problems that married people face (vv.25-28). (2) Because the end is near, Christians shouldn't let marriage and the things of the world become their dominant concerns. Their primary focus should be Jesus and eternity (vv.29-31). (3) Since marriage brings earthly responsibilities, singles will be able to devote their lives more fully to serving God (vv.32-35).
But if marriage comes with so many disadvantages, why did God institute this covenant relationship? Here's where the whole counsel of God's Word is vital! While singles may have fewer everyday concerns than married couples, it's also true that two is better than one (Ecclesiastes 4:9). We can see God's blueprint for marriage in Genesis 2:18-25. This passage reveals that, in marriage, the man and wife complement each other in His service.
There's also a selflessness in marriage that one can never attain alone. It's a relationship in which living for another's best interest is put to the test, and yet, at the same time, can be extremely rewarding. A God-honoring marriage is also a strong witness of Christ's love for the church (Ephesians 5:21-33).
Our primary concern should always be our relationship with Jesus, regardless of marital status (Luke 14:26). So whether you're single or married, keep seeking Him and rest in what He deems best for you. , Poh Fang Chia
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more