WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
Those who have suffered severe loss often lament that their day of tragedy seemed like a normal day for everyone else. On the day they were fired, learned of their cancer, discovered their spouse was unfaithful, or held a child as she died, on that very day other people went about their business as usual. My divorce is final! My beloved is gone! they silently scream. How can you go to work, eat out, and catch a movie as if nothing has changed? Don't you care?
Worse, their disastrous day seemed normal for God as well. The sun shone, clouds rolled by, night fell, stars appeared. Doesn't God care either?
The book of Lamentations captured Jeremiah's anguished cry as he considered the suffering of his people. Life was bad. Jerusalem had been destroyed and its citizens carried off to Babylon. Those left behind had resorted to cannibalism, mothers eating their own children to survive (2:20). Jeremiah laments that his suffering "is bitter beyond words," but he grasps a glimmer of hope when he remembers that "the faithful love of the Lord never ends" and "His mercies begin afresh each morning" (3:19-23).
Actually, the Lord's mercies don't merely begin each morning, they are each morning. Psalm 104 praises God for faithfully tending His diverse creation. The routine events of nature, are all directed by God's powerful hand. "When You give them Your breath, life is created, and You renew the face of the earth" (v.30).
The clockwork consistency of nature on your worst day is a reminder that God cares. Take it as a sign that God loves you. He's not debilitated by His grief for you, but is preserving your life until the morning when His mercies will begin afresh. , Mike Wittmer, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more