The Gift of LoveHow should you respond to such a great love?
Top Christian Music Videos
Psalm 139:13-18 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it (v.14).
When it comes to physical appearance, we’re constantly bombarded with advice. And truth be told, the suggestions found on magazine covers, in TV commercials, and voiced by store clerks— among other sources—bother me. They’re all trying to nudge me to pursue that perfect look.
One blogger wrote: “For many young men and women, our physical appearance has become the measuring stick against which our entire value and worth are assessed by. But let’s get real: As detrimental as this value system can be, it’s really hard to just ‘walk away’ from that measuring stick when everything around you is pointing you in that direction.”
James reminds us of an important mirror that gives us a true view of ourselves. It’s the Word of God (1:23). In Psalm 139:14, the psalmist reminds us that we’re part of God’s marvelous workmanship. Just think about that! The One who made you and me is the wisest, most skillful, and most creative Person in the entire universe! So no matter what size, weight, or shape we are, God sees us as His creation. Beautiful. Created in His image (Genesis 1:26-27).
Regina Franklin in her book Who Calls Me Beautiful? wrote, “The moment we were created we became God’s most precious and coveted work of art—chosen, guarded, and loved. . . . We are ‘fearfully and wonderfully’ made because we have access to one of the greatest intimacies humans can know—a personal relationship with God.”
So while it’s great to “look good,” let’s not pursue it at the cost of our relationship with God. An hour in the gym and an hour in the front of the mirror but zero hours with God will not lead to true beauty.
—Poh Fang Chia
How does the knowledge that you are God’s marvelous creation affect your decision on diet, fashion, exercise, beauty products, and more? What does He consider to be true beauty?
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more