Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
Psalm 139:13-18 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it (v.14).
When it comes to physical appearance, we’re constantly bombarded with advice. And truth be told, the suggestions found on magazine covers, in TV commercials, and voiced by store clerks— among other sources—bother me. They’re all trying to nudge me to pursue that perfect look.
One blogger wrote: “For many young men and women, our physical appearance has become the measuring stick against which our entire value and worth are assessed by. But let’s get real: As detrimental as this value system can be, it’s really hard to just ‘walk away’ from that measuring stick when everything around you is pointing you in that direction.”
James reminds us of an important mirror that gives us a true view of ourselves. It’s the Word of God (1:23). In Psalm 139:14, the psalmist reminds us that we’re part of God’s marvelous workmanship. Just think about that! The One who made you and me is the wisest, most skillful, and most creative Person in the entire universe! So no matter what size, weight, or shape we are, God sees us as His creation. Beautiful. Created in His image (Genesis 1:26-27).
Regina Franklin in her book Who Calls Me Beautiful? wrote, “The moment we were created we became God’s most precious and coveted work of art—chosen, guarded, and loved. . . . We are ‘fearfully and wonderfully’ made because we have access to one of the greatest intimacies humans can know—a personal relationship with God.”
So while it’s great to “look good,” let’s not pursue it at the cost of our relationship with God. An hour in the gym and an hour in the front of the mirror but zero hours with God will not lead to true beauty.
—Poh Fang Chia
How does the knowledge that you are God’s marvelous creation affect your decision on diet, fashion, exercise, beauty products, and more? What does He consider to be true beauty?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more