Red HousesWhat has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?
Top Music Videos
Psalm 139:13-18 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it (v.14).
When it comes to physical appearance, we’re constantly bombarded with advice. And truth be told, the suggestions found on magazine covers, in TV commercials, and voiced by store clerks— among other sources—bother me. They’re all trying to nudge me to pursue that perfect look.
One blogger wrote: “For many young men and women, our physical appearance has become the measuring stick against which our entire value and worth are assessed by. But let’s get real: As detrimental as this value system can be, it’s really hard to just ‘walk away’ from that measuring stick when everything around you is pointing you in that direction.”
James reminds us of an important mirror that gives us a true view of ourselves. It’s the Word of God (1:23). In Psalm 139:14, the psalmist reminds us that we’re part of God’s marvelous workmanship. Just think about that! The One who made you and me is the wisest, most skillful, and most creative Person in the entire universe! So no matter what size, weight, or shape we are, God sees us as His creation. Beautiful. Created in His image (Genesis 1:26-27).
Regina Franklin in her book Who Calls Me Beautiful? wrote, “The moment we were created we became God’s most precious and coveted work of art—chosen, guarded, and loved. . . . We are ‘fearfully and wonderfully’ made because we have access to one of the greatest intimacies humans can know—a personal relationship with God.”
So while it’s great to “look good,” let’s not pursue it at the cost of our relationship with God. An hour in the gym and an hour in the front of the mirror but zero hours with God will not lead to true beauty.
—Poh Fang Chia
How does the knowledge that you are God’s marvelous creation affect your decision on diet, fashion, exercise, beauty products, and more? What does He consider to be true beauty?
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more