DistractionWhat’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?
Top Christian Music Videos
I’m not a professional prophet. . . . But the Lord called me away from my flock and told me, “Go and prophesy to My people in Israel” (Amos 7:14-15).
I am just 3 months into my elected role as youth deaconess in the local church that I attend, and I’ve already received three requests from people who want to step down from serving. A few have simply gone MIA (missing in action). So I feel like a general who’s trying to rally his army to fight a battle even as he’s losing his soldiers.
I was discouraged until I studied Amos 7:10-17. The prophet was a shepherd from Tekoa (in Judea) who was called to prophesy in the northern kingdom of Israel. During his ministry, he was grossly misrepresented by Amaziah, who distorted his message and cast doubts on his motives (v.10). Given the circumstances, Amos could have become despondent. His ministry was unappreciated.
Then Amaziah ordered Amos to go home (Amos 7:12). Essentially, he was saying, “Amos, get out of this place where your message isn’t accepted. Go home to the place where things are familiar and secure!” But Amos stayed the course. God had given him a commission, and the prophet recognized that his ministry and his location were God’s choosing (Amos 7:15).
Bible teacher Alistair Begg says, “When one is effectively involved in serving God, there will be opposition, persecution, and trial. Consequently, there is no ideal place to serve God anywhere in the world except the place in which He has set you down.” As I think about my role at church, I now realize that I was mistaken. I’m not the general; God is. And He’s working in His church so that “she will be holy and without fault” (Ephesians 5:27).
May we one day be able to say, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful” (2 Timothy 4:7). Keep fighting! Keep running! Keep believing! —Poh Fang Chia
Read Matthew 28:18-20 for God’s clear commission to all believers.
What could discourage you from fighting the good fight of the gospel? What will enable you to press on?
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more
- How Much God Loves You - What prevents you from accepting God’s love?...read more