VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
I’m not a professional prophet. . . . But the Lord called me away from my flock and told me, “Go and prophesy to My people in Israel” (Amos 7:14-15).
I am just 3 months into my elected role as youth deaconess in the local church that I attend, and I’ve already received three requests from people who want to step down from serving. A few have simply gone MIA (missing in action). So I feel like a general who’s trying to rally his army to fight a battle even as he’s losing his soldiers.
I was discouraged until I studied Amos 7:10-17. The prophet was a shepherd from Tekoa (in Judea) who was called to prophesy in the northern kingdom of Israel. During his ministry, he was grossly misrepresented by Amaziah, who distorted his message and cast doubts on his motives (v.10). Given the circumstances, Amos could have become despondent. His ministry was unappreciated.
Then Amaziah ordered Amos to go home (Amos 7:12). Essentially, he was saying, “Amos, get out of this place where your message isn’t accepted. Go home to the place where things are familiar and secure!” But Amos stayed the course. God had given him a commission, and the prophet recognized that his ministry and his location were God’s choosing (Amos 7:15).
Bible teacher Alistair Begg says, “When one is effectively involved in serving God, there will be opposition, persecution, and trial. Consequently, there is no ideal place to serve God anywhere in the world except the place in which He has set you down.” As I think about my role at church, I now realize that I was mistaken. I’m not the general; God is. And He’s working in His church so that “she will be holy and without fault” (Ephesians 5:27).
May we one day be able to say, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful” (2 Timothy 4:7). Keep fighting! Keep running! Keep believing! —Poh Fang Chia
Read Matthew 28:18-20 for God’s clear commission to all believers.
What could discourage you from fighting the good fight of the gospel? What will enable you to press on?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more