Love in ActionHow can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?
Top Christian Music Videos
What good fellowship we once enjoyed as we walked together to the house of God (Psalm 55:14).
In a state of exhaustion and despair, at the 5-year anniversary mark of serving in Uganda, I sent an email to friends and ministry partners pleading for prayer. In response to learning of my struggles, a small army of brothers and sisters in Christ lifted me up in prayer and helped me walk through a difficult time.
I’m glad that I didn’t let my pride keep me from reaching out for help. Had I refrained from doing so, I would have entered into deeper isolation, and I could have fallen apart from the weight of the stress I was under.
In the Old Testament, we learn of many occasions when people were separated from community as a form of punishment for sins such as eating leavened bread, making incense for personal use, failing to observe the Sabbath or being ceremonially unclean (Exodus 12:14- 15, 31:13-15; Leviticus 7:20-22).
Today, solitary confinement is reserved only for the worst criminals. Yet many of us inflict punishment on ourselves by choosing isolation over community. Whether we fear being vulnerable, are ashamed of something we’ve done, or simply don’t feel like talking, we sometimes believe it’s easier to withdraw than to be real with other believers in Jesus.
Though we need periods of solitude and times alone with the Lord, withdrawing from Christian fellowship is unhealthy. That’s why the believers in Acts set the precedent of biblical community. “All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer” (Acts 2:42).
By coming together as believers, we’re obeying a command of Jesus that’s also a beautiful gift from Him to us (vv.46-47).
Read Philippians 2:1-2 and note what it says about the characteristics of true Christian fellowship.
When have you experienced the awe of the Lord as you’ve joined with others in Christian fellowship? What can you do to experience richer fellowship with other believers?
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more