Subscribe to God’s HelpWhat temptations are you battling?
Top Music Videos
What good fellowship we once enjoyed as we walked together to the house of God (Psalm 55:14).
In a state of exhaustion and despair, at the 5-year anniversary mark of serving in Uganda, I sent an email to friends and ministry partners pleading for prayer. In response to learning of my struggles, a small army of brothers and sisters in Christ lifted me up in prayer and helped me walk through a difficult time.
I’m glad that I didn’t let my pride keep me from reaching out for help. Had I refrained from doing so, I would have entered into deeper isolation, and I could have fallen apart from the weight of the stress I was under.
In the Old Testament, we learn of many occasions when people were separated from community as a form of punishment for sins such as eating leavened bread, making incense for personal use, failing to observe the Sabbath or being ceremonially unclean (Exodus 12:14- 15, 31:13-15; Leviticus 7:20-22).
Today, solitary confinement is reserved only for the worst criminals. Yet many of us inflict punishment on ourselves by choosing isolation over community. Whether we fear being vulnerable, are ashamed of something we’ve done, or simply don’t feel like talking, we sometimes believe it’s easier to withdraw than to be real with other believers in Jesus.
Though we need periods of solitude and times alone with the Lord, withdrawing from Christian fellowship is unhealthy. That’s why the believers in Acts set the precedent of biblical community. “All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer” (Acts 2:42).
By coming together as believers, we’re obeying a command of Jesus that’s also a beautiful gift from Him to us (vv.46-47).
Read Philippians 2:1-2 and note what it says about the characteristics of true Christian fellowship.
When have you experienced the awe of the Lord as you’ve joined with others in Christian fellowship? What can you do to experience richer fellowship with other believers?
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more