What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
What good fellowship we once enjoyed as we walked together to the house of God (Psalm 55:14).
In a state of exhaustion and despair, at the 5-year anniversary mark of serving in Uganda, I sent an email to friends and ministry partners pleading for prayer. In response to learning of my struggles, a small army of brothers and sisters in Christ lifted me up in prayer and helped me walk through a difficult time.
I’m glad that I didn’t let my pride keep me from reaching out for help. Had I refrained from doing so, I would have entered into deeper isolation, and I could have fallen apart from the weight of the stress I was under.
In the Old Testament, we learn of many occasions when people were separated from community as a form of punishment for sins such as eating leavened bread, making incense for personal use, failing to observe the Sabbath or being ceremonially unclean (Exodus 12:14- 15, 31:13-15; Leviticus 7:20-22).
Today, solitary confinement is reserved only for the worst criminals. Yet many of us inflict punishment on ourselves by choosing isolation over community. Whether we fear being vulnerable, are ashamed of something we’ve done, or simply don’t feel like talking, we sometimes believe it’s easier to withdraw than to be real with other believers in Jesus.
Though we need periods of solitude and times alone with the Lord, withdrawing from Christian fellowship is unhealthy. That’s why the believers in Acts set the precedent of biblical community. “All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer” (Acts 2:42).
By coming together as believers, we’re obeying a command of Jesus that’s also a beautiful gift from Him to us (vv.46-47).
Read Philippians 2:1-2 and note what it says about the characteristics of true Christian fellowship.
When have you experienced the awe of the Lord as you’ve joined with others in Christian fellowship? What can you do to experience richer fellowship with other believers?
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more