The Gift of LoveHow should you respond to such a great love?
Top Christian Music Videos
Rebuilding the Altar
Jeshua . . . joined his fellow priests . . . in rebuilding the altar of the God of Israel. They wanted to sacrifice burnt offerings on it, as instructed in the Law of Moses (v.2).
Each New Year promises the opportunity to start afresh—the prospect of a new beginning. The Israelites had been a rebellious and disobedient people. After 70 years of exile, they were allowed to return home to Judea. They were also given the necessary help and resources to rebuild their temple (Ezra 1:1). They could start afresh with God. But howdo you start afresh with Him?
Their first step was not to rebuild the temple. Instead, they chose to rebuild the altar (vv.2-3). The altar was the place where God met with His people (exodus 29:42- 43). It was impossible for sinful people to have fellowship with the Holy God. So burnt offerings had to be sacrificed to God as atonement for sins: “the Lord will accept [the animal’s] death in your place to purify you, making you right with Him” (Leviticus 1:3).
These burnt offerings pointed to God’s perfect once-for-all sacrifice for sins—Jesus “the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world” (John 1:29; Hebrews 9:12). The altar was the place of repentance and renewal, cleansing and acceptance by God. His people rebuilt the altar at the onset of their work, for they first needed to get right with God!
Three times we’re told that they sacrificed burnt offerings “as instructed in the Law of Moses” (Ezra 3:2), “as prescribed by the Lord” (v.5). Their new beginning was characterized and evidenced by their obedience to God’s Word.
God graciously offers you the opportunity of a fresh start with Him. But you must return from “Babylon” and come to the cross of Calvary—the altar where Jesus was sacrificed to atone for your sins. That’s the starting point of new beginnings.
How is your altar broken? To begin afresh with God, receive forgiveness of sin and acceptance from Him (1 John 1:9).
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more