After 35What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?
Top Music Videos
[Jesus] was tempted by the devil for forty days (v.2).
I was driving down a busy road when an 8-foot icecream
cone approached in the oncoming traffic lane
and then sailed past me. I blinked and checked my
rearview mirror. The towering tribute to mint chocolate
chip, an advertisement for a local restaurant, definitely
tempted my sweet tooth!
No stranger to temptation, Jesus challenged His
followers to stay alert and pray so that they would not
give in to it (Matthew 26:41). He also reminded them
that although “the spirit is willing . . . the body is weak.”
Jesus knew all about the weakness of our physical
bodies, having endured a time of solitude and fasting in
the wilderness (Luke 4:2). After 40 days of hunger, He was
challenged by Satan to change a stone into bread. But
Jesus used Scripture to resist the devil’s ploy (v.4).
Satan tried another tactic: lying. After showing Jesus
all the world’s kingdoms, he said, “I will give you the
glory of these kingdoms and authority over them . . .
because they are mine” (v.6). Huh? I don’t think so. Jesus
is and was clearly in charge of the world (Colossians
1:16). Consider what He said about Satan and his lying
ways (John 8:44).
Still, Satan exaggerated his power to try to coax
Jesus into worshiping him. God’s Son resisted, saying:
“You must worship the Lord your God” (Luke 4:8). After
another failed attempt, Satan “left Him until the next
opportunity came” (v.13).
Satan is always looking for His next chance to tempt us as well (1 Peter
5:8). That’s why we need to guard against weakness and isolation through
accountability with fellow believers. We can also memorize Scripture that will
help us face and defeat temptation. Then we’ll be equipped to resist the devil
and send him packing (James 4:7).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Why is temptation often more intense when we’re alone? Why do we
sometimes give in to it, even when we have a clear view of right and
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more
- What a Friend! - What does it mean to you to have a friend in Jesus?...read more