The Kingdom We Long ForWhat makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?
Top Music Videos
[Jesus] was tempted by the devil for forty days (v.2).
I was driving down a busy road when an 8-foot icecream
cone approached in the oncoming traffic lane
and then sailed past me. I blinked and checked my
rearview mirror. The towering tribute to mint chocolate
chip, an advertisement for a local restaurant, definitely
tempted my sweet tooth!
No stranger to temptation, Jesus challenged His
followers to stay alert and pray so that they would not
give in to it (Matthew 26:41). He also reminded them
that although “the spirit is willing . . . the body is weak.”
Jesus knew all about the weakness of our physical
bodies, having endured a time of solitude and fasting in
the wilderness (Luke 4:2). After 40 days of hunger, He was
challenged by Satan to change a stone into bread. But
Jesus used Scripture to resist the devil’s ploy (v.4).
Satan tried another tactic: lying. After showing Jesus
all the world’s kingdoms, he said, “I will give you the
glory of these kingdoms and authority over them . . .
because they are mine” (v.6). Huh? I don’t think so. Jesus
is and was clearly in charge of the world (Colossians
1:16). Consider what He said about Satan and his lying
ways (John 8:44).
Still, Satan exaggerated his power to try to coax
Jesus into worshiping him. God’s Son resisted, saying:
“You must worship the Lord your God” (Luke 4:8). After
another failed attempt, Satan “left Him until the next
opportunity came” (v.13).
Satan is always looking for His next chance to tempt us as well (1 Peter
5:8). That’s why we need to guard against weakness and isolation through
accountability with fellow believers. We can also memorize Scripture that will
help us face and defeat temptation. Then we’ll be equipped to resist the devil
and send him packing (James 4:7).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Why is temptation often more intense when we’re alone? Why do we
sometimes give in to it, even when we have a clear view of right and
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more