Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
[Jesus] was tempted by the devil for forty days (v.2).
I was driving down a busy road when an 8-foot icecream
cone approached in the oncoming traffic lane
and then sailed past me. I blinked and checked my
rearview mirror. The towering tribute to mint chocolate
chip, an advertisement for a local restaurant, definitely
tempted my sweet tooth!
No stranger to temptation, Jesus challenged His
followers to stay alert and pray so that they would not
give in to it (Matthew 26:41). He also reminded them
that although “the spirit is willing . . . the body is weak.”
Jesus knew all about the weakness of our physical
bodies, having endured a time of solitude and fasting in
the wilderness (Luke 4:2). After 40 days of hunger, He was
challenged by Satan to change a stone into bread. But
Jesus used Scripture to resist the devil’s ploy (v.4).
Satan tried another tactic: lying. After showing Jesus
all the world’s kingdoms, he said, “I will give you the
glory of these kingdoms and authority over them . . .
because they are mine” (v.6). Huh? I don’t think so. Jesus
is and was clearly in charge of the world (Colossians
1:16). Consider what He said about Satan and his lying
ways (John 8:44).
Still, Satan exaggerated his power to try to coax
Jesus into worshiping him. God’s Son resisted, saying:
“You must worship the Lord your God” (Luke 4:8). After
another failed attempt, Satan “left Him until the next
opportunity came” (v.13).
Satan is always looking for His next chance to tempt us as well (1 Peter
5:8). That’s why we need to guard against weakness and isolation through
accountability with fellow believers. We can also memorize Scripture that will
help us face and defeat temptation. Then we’ll be equipped to resist the devil
and send him packing (James 4:7).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Why is temptation often more intense when we’re alone? Why do we
sometimes give in to it, even when we have a clear view of right and
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more