Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
Jesus said, “I have been very eager to eat this Passover meal with you
before My suffering begins” (v.15).
I had a listener call my radio show recently. “I’ve been
a Christian for 5 years, but I haven’t always lived like
one,” she said anxiously. “I want to know, does there
come a time when God won’t forgive us anymore?” I
recounted the following story to her: Jesus had arranged
a secret location to eat the Passover dinner with His
disciples—something He’d been “very eager” to share
with them (Luke 22:7-38). Very eager? Just think about
whom He ate dinner with and what would soon happen.
In a few short moments Jesus announced that someone
sitting at the table would betray Him (vv.21-22). He
already knew that Judas was the hired hit man (vv.3-6).
Would you feel “eager” to dine with your assassin?
On hearing this news, the disciples didn’t grow
concerned for their Friend’s safety; no, they started
discussing who the betrayer could be (v.23). The
conversation fragmented further as they argued about
which of them would be the “greatest” (vv.24-27).
Before the dinner was finished, these same friends
frustrated and misunderstood Jesus—with disastrous
results (vv.49-50). Jesus also broke the news of Peter’s
Immediately following dinner, Judas would betray
Jesus (vv.47-48), Peter would disown Him (vv.54-62),
the others would abandon Him (Mark 14:50), and
Jesus would be crucified. Jesus knew the evil the evening
held, yet He was still “very eager” to share it with His disciples. It was to these
flawed friends that He gave His kingdom (Luke 22:28-30).
Can you exhaust the forgiveness of God? my caller asked. Not a chance, I
replied. Leave your life of sin but don’t doubt the grace of Jesus. If He welcomes
flawed friends like His disciples into His kingdom, He’s got a place for us too.
Have you ever felt like that caller—worried that God won’t forgive
you? Why? Can any sin be beyond Jesus’ forgiveness?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more