Confession and BlessingHow does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Big Chill
No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead . . . let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father (vv.15-16).
Recently, scientists discovered the answer to why we occasionally experience that dreaded “brain freeze” when eating ice cream. The piercing pain in the ol’ temples is caused by an increase in blood flow and the enlarging of the anterior cerebral artery— located in the middle of the brain behind the eyes. This phenomenon occurs when our icy, sweet eats come into contact with the roof of our mouths and the back of our throats. How to avoid the big chill? Consider enjoying smaller bites of that Triple Thick Chocolate Explosion or whatever your favorite ice-cream flavor is!
There’s another kind of big chill that many of us face in life—spiritual freeze. Our hearts begin to cool to God and His Word, and then we soon experience the pain of lives spinning out of control. Jesus described people who exhibit a freeze in their faith as salt that “has lost its flavor” and a lamp hidden “under a basket” (Matthew 5:13). In contrast, He states that those who are passionate about their faith—even to the point of being persecuted for it— will receive “a great reward” (vv.11-12). So salt and light that penetrates our sin-sick culture and preserves what is good brings glory to God (v.16) and a blessing to those who are exhibiting them!
How can we avoid the big chill? Paul gives us some insights: “Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people” (Philippians 2:15). As we pursue God, our spiritual flames will grow purer, brighter, and more true! And as we regularly meet and fellowship with likeminded believers in Jesus, we’ll increasingly develop “the qualities of salt among [ourselves]” (Mark 9:50).
Let’s avoid spiritual freeze by seeking God passionately and spending time with His people consistently!
Read Isaiah 2:2 and check out what God will do in “the last days” (v.2) and where He wants His people to walk (v.5).
What has caused you to experience a spiritual freeze? How can you grow in your passion for God and for spending quality time with true believers in Jesus?
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more
- Winning Wars - How has God equipped others to help you make wise decisions?...read more
- Blinding Blue Pants - What role does accountability play in your life?...read more