FearlessHow can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Big Chill
No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead . . . let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father (vv.15-16).
Recently, scientists discovered the answer to why we occasionally experience that dreaded “brain freeze” when eating ice cream. The piercing pain in the ol’ temples is caused by an increase in blood flow and the enlarging of the anterior cerebral artery— located in the middle of the brain behind the eyes. This phenomenon occurs when our icy, sweet eats come into contact with the roof of our mouths and the back of our throats. How to avoid the big chill? Consider enjoying smaller bites of that Triple Thick Chocolate Explosion or whatever your favorite ice-cream flavor is!
There’s another kind of big chill that many of us face in life—spiritual freeze. Our hearts begin to cool to God and His Word, and then we soon experience the pain of lives spinning out of control. Jesus described people who exhibit a freeze in their faith as salt that “has lost its flavor” and a lamp hidden “under a basket” (Matthew 5:13). In contrast, He states that those who are passionate about their faith—even to the point of being persecuted for it— will receive “a great reward” (vv.11-12). So salt and light that penetrates our sin-sick culture and preserves what is good brings glory to God (v.16) and a blessing to those who are exhibiting them!
How can we avoid the big chill? Paul gives us some insights: “Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people” (Philippians 2:15). As we pursue God, our spiritual flames will grow purer, brighter, and more true! And as we regularly meet and fellowship with likeminded believers in Jesus, we’ll increasingly develop “the qualities of salt among [ourselves]” (Mark 9:50).
Let’s avoid spiritual freeze by seeking God passionately and spending time with His people consistently!
Read Isaiah 2:2 and check out what God will do in “the last days” (v.2) and where He wants His people to walk (v.5).
What has caused you to experience a spiritual freeze? How can you grow in your passion for God and for spending quality time with true believers in Jesus?
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more