Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
The Big Chill
No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead . . . let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father (vv.15-16).
Recently, scientists discovered the answer to why we occasionally experience that dreaded “brain freeze” when eating ice cream. The piercing pain in the ol’ temples is caused by an increase in blood flow and the enlarging of the anterior cerebral artery— located in the middle of the brain behind the eyes. This phenomenon occurs when our icy, sweet eats come into contact with the roof of our mouths and the back of our throats. How to avoid the big chill? Consider enjoying smaller bites of that Triple Thick Chocolate Explosion or whatever your favorite ice-cream flavor is!
There’s another kind of big chill that many of us face in life—spiritual freeze. Our hearts begin to cool to God and His Word, and then we soon experience the pain of lives spinning out of control. Jesus described people who exhibit a freeze in their faith as salt that “has lost its flavor” and a lamp hidden “under a basket” (Matthew 5:13). In contrast, He states that those who are passionate about their faith—even to the point of being persecuted for it— will receive “a great reward” (vv.11-12). So salt and light that penetrates our sin-sick culture and preserves what is good brings glory to God (v.16) and a blessing to those who are exhibiting them!
How can we avoid the big chill? Paul gives us some insights: “Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people” (Philippians 2:15). As we pursue God, our spiritual flames will grow purer, brighter, and more true! And as we regularly meet and fellowship with likeminded believers in Jesus, we’ll increasingly develop “the qualities of salt among [ourselves]” (Mark 9:50).
Let’s avoid spiritual freeze by seeking God passionately and spending time with His people consistently!
Read Isaiah 2:2 and check out what God will do in “the last days” (v.2) and where He wants His people to walk (v.5).
What has caused you to experience a spiritual freeze? How can you grow in your passion for God and for spending quality time with true believers in Jesus?
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more