VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
The Big Chill
No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead . . . let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father (vv.15-16).
Recently, scientists discovered the answer to why we occasionally experience that dreaded “brain freeze” when eating ice cream. The piercing pain in the ol’ temples is caused by an increase in blood flow and the enlarging of the anterior cerebral artery— located in the middle of the brain behind the eyes. This phenomenon occurs when our icy, sweet eats come into contact with the roof of our mouths and the back of our throats. How to avoid the big chill? Consider enjoying smaller bites of that Triple Thick Chocolate Explosion or whatever your favorite ice-cream flavor is!
There’s another kind of big chill that many of us face in life—spiritual freeze. Our hearts begin to cool to God and His Word, and then we soon experience the pain of lives spinning out of control. Jesus described people who exhibit a freeze in their faith as salt that “has lost its flavor” and a lamp hidden “under a basket” (Matthew 5:13). In contrast, He states that those who are passionate about their faith—even to the point of being persecuted for it— will receive “a great reward” (vv.11-12). So salt and light that penetrates our sin-sick culture and preserves what is good brings glory to God (v.16) and a blessing to those who are exhibiting them!
How can we avoid the big chill? Paul gives us some insights: “Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people” (Philippians 2:15). As we pursue God, our spiritual flames will grow purer, brighter, and more true! And as we regularly meet and fellowship with likeminded believers in Jesus, we’ll increasingly develop “the qualities of salt among [ourselves]” (Mark 9:50).
Let’s avoid spiritual freeze by seeking God passionately and spending time with His people consistently!
Read Isaiah 2:2 and check out what God will do in “the last days” (v.2) and where He wants His people to walk (v.5).
What has caused you to experience a spiritual freeze? How can you grow in your passion for God and for spending quality time with true believers in Jesus?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more