The Gentle WayWhat does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Pluralism and Jesus
I, yes I, am the Lord, and there is no other Savior (v.11).
My friend was telling me about her tour of historic churches in New England. These buildings housed congregations that once proclaimed the gospel but had long ago turned to unorthodox views. In one church, the tour guide explained that wooden shutters concealed a beautiful stained-glass window of Jesus. “We only open these shutters on Easter,” she explained, “because we don’t want to privilege any one religion over another.”
Today, many Christians feel uncomfortable saying that Jesus is the only way to God. A recent US survey found that 47 percent of “evangelical Christians” agreed with the statement that “many religions can lead to eternal life.” Another poll found that 20 percent of evangelical Christians believed that “if a person is sincerely seeking God, he/she can obtain eternal life through religions other than Christianity.”
If these surveys are reliable, then between one-fifth and one-half of born-again Christians in the US believe that people can be saved without being born again. They love their unsaved friends and don’t want to exclude them for having different beliefs.
But here’s the thing. The same arms that pull these religions in must also push Jesus out (John 14:6). We can’t declare that other religions have the power to save without also admitting that Jesus’ sacrifice was unnecessary. Augustine explained that if anyone can be saved apart from Jesus, then “Christ has died in vain.” Would Jesus have suffered on the cross if He didn’t believe it was essential for our salvation? (Acts 4:12). When we suggest that people can be saved by sincerely following their religion, we imply that Jesus and His sacrifice are not important or necessary.
We can’t love Jesus and endorse other religions. We must choose (Isaiah 43:10).
Read 1 Thessalonians 2:14. What does Paul assume people need in order to be saved?
What would you say to a friend who asked you to accept her religion just as she accepts yours? How can you show people that you respect them but cannot accept their beliefs apart from Jesus?
- The Gentle Way - What does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?...read more
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more