What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
It's Saturday afternoon at Birkenhead Point, a small park on the Parramatta River in Sydney, Australia. Parents play with their toddlers, seagulls fight over fish-and-chip wrappers, and my wife and I sit listening, our ears attuned to the couple.
They are maybe late-40s. She sits quietly, enraptured, gazing into his eyes. He leans casually on his left arm . . . and sings to her.
In his own tongue, without caution or shame, he offers his beloved a sweet love song. In the beauty of that moment I glimpse something divine.
The book of Zephaniah depicts a great and terrible day of the Lord (1:7, 3:8). God may be kind to the "unthankful and wicked" (Luke 6:35-36), but there will come a time when God's patience will come to an end.
In Zephaniah's day, God's people were bowing to the pagan gods Baal and Molech (Zephaniah 1:4-5), whose worship often required prostitution and child sacrifice. Israel had become corrupt and rebellious, her prophets and priests arrogant and profane (3:4). God's wrathful judgment, declared Zephaniah, was coming, and not just on her but on all the nations of the earth (1:2,18, 3:8).
And yet Zephaniah foresees God bringing something beautiful out of that dark day's rubble, a people drawn from all nations who wholeheartedly love Him (3:9-13). To this people He will be like a bridegroom who sweeps up His bride, takes her home, delights in her, and sings to her. "He will rejoice over you with joyful songs" (v.17).
To His creatures, God is Creator and Warrior. But how many of us who love Him see God as beloved Singer, a God of affection with a love song on His lips? , Sheridan Voysey, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more