Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
[They are] filled with abundant joy, which has overflowed in rich generosity (v.2).
Among the poor, I’ve often encountered extravagant generosity. In the Amazon jungle, locals stretched their meager resources to provide me with daily meals. One evening they prepared fresh monkey stew and though it was not something I cared to eat, it was a costly delicacy for them. Within the slums of Mexico or Indonesia, you’ll often discover individuals who, because they have so little to horde and protect, exhibit the grace of generosity.
God’s people, from Old Testament to New, have always given money as an act of worship to God and as a way of tangible participation in the joy of seeing God’s kingdom established on earth. In the Bible, God has much to say about money—mentioning money (or possessions) 2,172 times. God talks about what we own three times more than love and seven times more than prayer.
It’s not as though our money and possessions are more important than those other matters, but how we use them serves as a reflection of our entire lives. We might say we love God and neighbor, or we might say that we pray to Christ as Lord; but if our possessions have a stranglehold on our affections, then our words are hollow.
Richard Halverson says, “Jesus Christ said more about money than about any other single thing because, when it comes to a person’s real nature, money is of first importance. Money is an exact index to a person’s true character. All through Scripture there is an intimate correlation between the development of a person’s character and how he handles his money.”
Paul reminded the Corinthians that generosity comes from a life lived in the way of Jesus, who, “though He was rich, yet for [our] sakes He became poor, so that by His poverty He could make [us] rich” (2 Corinthians 2:9).
Read Matthew 6:21. What’s the connection between our money and the state of our heart? Why do you think this connection exists?
Where do you tend to be greedy, to grasp firmly your money and whatever you own? Where do you need to let your money go?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more