Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
How big is the kingdom of God? Jesus said it begins small, like a mustard seed or a pinch of yeast, and it grows until it permeates "every part of the dough" (13:21). It's large enough for birds to nest in. But it's not so big that it overlooks details. Just as our immense sun illumines every corner of Earth, so God's kingdom transforms every aspect of life. The kingdom is both small and large.
The sheer scope of the kingdom means that Jesus noticed little things, like a stooped-over woman. How many of us even remembered that Jesus healed her? This was definitely not His most famous miracle. Yet Jesus observed that her crippling disease was the work of Satan. And since God's kingdom extends as far as the curse is found, He said "Dear woman, you are healed of your sickness!" (13:12).
One problem. Jesus healed her in the presence of a small man. Not in height, but in heart, much like the Grinch in Dr. Seuss' famous tale, whose heart was "two sizes too small." This leader of the synagogue rebuked the woman, who was now standing straight and tall, for coming forward. " â€˜There are six days of the week for working,' he said to the crowd. â€˜Come on those days to be healed, not on the Sabbath' " (13:14).
Jesus replied: "Isn't it right that she be released, even on the Sabbath?" (13:16). Even meaning "especially on the Sabbath." Israel rested on the Sabbath to commemorate her deliverance from Egypt (Deuteronomy 5:15), so there was no more appropriate day to deliver "a daughter of Abraham" from the curse of sin.
The kingdom of God is too large to be petty and too big to ignore the smallest burden. Lend a hand in Jesus' name, and your small kindness will be gathered into something mighty and massive, the kingdom of God. , Mike Wittmer, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more