Red HousesWhat has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?
Top Music Videos
As It Is In Heaven
At the right time He will bring everything together under the authority of Christ— everything in heaven and on earth (v.10).
In the “Lord’s prayer,” Jesus encouraged His followers to pray for God’s kingdom to come and His will to be done “on earth, as it is in heaven” (Matthew 6:10). Not surprisingly, the four Gospels are loaded with stories of heaven and earth coming together in and around Jesus.
Right from the start, heaven and earth converged in Christ’s divine conception (Luke 1:35). They overlapped when angels appeared to Mary and Joseph to explain her inexplicable pregnancy (Matthew 1:18; Luke 1:26). It happened again as God sent angels from heaven to announce Jesus’ birth (2:8-15).
Heaven and earth continued to join together at Jesus’ baptism, when a voice from heaven boomed, “You are my dearly loved Son” (Mark 1:11). God’s world and our world intersected every time Jesus forgave sins and healed diseases (2:1-12). It happened when water was turned into wine (John 2:1), when grace replaced condemnation (8:1-11), when the dead were raised to life (11:38-44), when stormy seas were calmed (Mark 4:35), when thousands of hungry people were fed with a couple of fish and a few loaves of bread (6:30-44), and when frustrated fishermen were twice guided to the catch of a lifetime (Luke 5:1; John 21:1).
For those who have eyes to see, something radically new happened in and through Jesus’ coming. He was announcing that people from all backgrounds are included and every dimension of creation is touched when God’s long-awaited kingdom comes “on earth as it is in heaven.”
This is what Jesus ignited in His birth and ministry, established through His death and resurrection, and will one day complete when He returns. This is the creation-renewing mission He taught us to pray for and saved us to be a part of today and forever—“on earth as it is in heaven.”
Paul reminded the Ephesians that it had been God’s plan all along to unite (not separate) heaven and earth under Christ (Ephesians 1:10).
What will you do today “on earth as it is in heaven”? How does Jesus’ example inspire you?
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more