Timeless GrooveWhat lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?
Top Christian Music Videos
As It Is In Heaven
At the right time He will bring everything together under the authority of Christ— everything in heaven and on earth (v.10).
In the “Lord’s prayer,” Jesus encouraged His followers to pray for God’s kingdom to come and His will to be done “on earth, as it is in heaven” (Matthew 6:10). Not surprisingly, the four Gospels are loaded with stories of heaven and earth coming together in and around Jesus.
Right from the start, heaven and earth converged in Christ’s divine conception (Luke 1:35). They overlapped when angels appeared to Mary and Joseph to explain her inexplicable pregnancy (Matthew 1:18; Luke 1:26). It happened again as God sent angels from heaven to announce Jesus’ birth (2:8-15).
Heaven and earth continued to join together at Jesus’ baptism, when a voice from heaven boomed, “You are my dearly loved Son” (Mark 1:11). God’s world and our world intersected every time Jesus forgave sins and healed diseases (2:1-12). It happened when water was turned into wine (John 2:1), when grace replaced condemnation (8:1-11), when the dead were raised to life (11:38-44), when stormy seas were calmed (Mark 4:35), when thousands of hungry people were fed with a couple of fish and a few loaves of bread (6:30-44), and when frustrated fishermen were twice guided to the catch of a lifetime (Luke 5:1; John 21:1).
For those who have eyes to see, something radically new happened in and through Jesus’ coming. He was announcing that people from all backgrounds are included and every dimension of creation is touched when God’s long-awaited kingdom comes “on earth as it is in heaven.”
This is what Jesus ignited in His birth and ministry, established through His death and resurrection, and will one day complete when He returns. This is the creation-renewing mission He taught us to pray for and saved us to be a part of today and forever—“on earth as it is in heaven.”
Paul reminded the Ephesians that it had been God’s plan all along to unite (not separate) heaven and earth under Christ (Ephesians 1:10).
What will you do today “on earth as it is in heaven”? How does Jesus’ example inspire you?
- Timeless Groove - What lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?...read more
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more