Generous HeartsHave you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?
Top Christian Music Videos
Since they thought it foolish to acknowledge
God, He abandoned them to their foolish
thinking and let them do things that should never
be done (v.28).
This was a tough week. Someone I know was accused
of a crime so brutal I can’t describe it. Waves of
disbelief, disgust, and sadness have swept over
me. I grieve the loss of life for the victim and what he
went through prior to his death. I grieve for the families
involved. I grieve the potential loss of a once-promising
future for my young friend. I grieve the effects of sin.
In Romans 1, the apostle Paul issued a solemn warning
we should all take to heart. The essence of his message?
Sin leads only to more sin and ultimately to spiritual
death. When people choose to reject and disobey
God, even though His message has been “obvious to
them” (vv.19-20), they begin a descent into darkness
and confusion (v.22). Their choices and actions become
foolish—worshiping their own sinful wants and desires
while ignoring “the glorious, ever-living God” (vv.23,25).
What happens next is scary, for God “abandons” or
turns these people over to experience the bitter fruit of
their wicked ways (vv.18,24). He allows them to reap
“the penalty they [deserve]” as they engage in acts “that
should never be done” (vv.27-28).
Paul wrote down many types of sins people will commit
as they sink deeper and deeper into darkness (vv.9-30).
Although the list isn’t exhaustive, a few stand out: haters
of God. When we turn from God, our hearts reveal our
hate for Him and His truth; proud—the worship of self can
lead to unimaginable consequences (see Adam and Eve); new ways of sinning—
jaded in depravity, our sins become worse and worse; heartless . . . no mercy—
our choices become cruel and evil.
Turn from your sin today before it’s too late. If you don’t, the effects could be
devastating for you . . . and others. —Tom Felten
Check out Psalm 14:1-3
to see what God said
when He looked at the
hearts of “the entire
How have you been
turning from God and
choosing to sin? What
will you do to turn from
sin’s devastating effects
and experience God’s
provision of real life?
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more