Offering Refuge and HopeHow can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?
Top Music Videos
Since they thought it foolish to acknowledge
God, He abandoned them to their foolish
thinking and let them do things that should never
be done (v.28).
This was a tough week. Someone I know was accused
of a crime so brutal I can’t describe it. Waves of
disbelief, disgust, and sadness have swept over
me. I grieve the loss of life for the victim and what he
went through prior to his death. I grieve for the families
involved. I grieve the potential loss of a once-promising
future for my young friend. I grieve the effects of sin.
In Romans 1, the apostle Paul issued a solemn warning
we should all take to heart. The essence of his message?
Sin leads only to more sin and ultimately to spiritual
death. When people choose to reject and disobey
God, even though His message has been “obvious to
them” (vv.19-20), they begin a descent into darkness
and confusion (v.22). Their choices and actions become
foolish—worshiping their own sinful wants and desires
while ignoring “the glorious, ever-living God” (vv.23,25).
What happens next is scary, for God “abandons” or
turns these people over to experience the bitter fruit of
their wicked ways (vv.18,24). He allows them to reap
“the penalty they [deserve]” as they engage in acts “that
should never be done” (vv.27-28).
Paul wrote down many types of sins people will commit
as they sink deeper and deeper into darkness (vv.9-30).
Although the list isn’t exhaustive, a few stand out: haters
of God. When we turn from God, our hearts reveal our
hate for Him and His truth; proud—the worship of self can
lead to unimaginable consequences (see Adam and Eve); new ways of sinning—
jaded in depravity, our sins become worse and worse; heartless . . . no mercy—
our choices become cruel and evil.
Turn from your sin today before it’s too late. If you don’t, the effects could be
devastating for you . . . and others. —Tom Felten
Check out Psalm 14:1-3
to see what God said
when He looked at the
hearts of “the entire
How have you been
turning from God and
choosing to sin? What
will you do to turn from
sin’s devastating effects
and experience God’s
provision of real life?
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more
- “For God’s Sake!” - What have been your responses to particularly painful moments in life?...read more