LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
Consider this scenario. You've invited the 10 most important people from church to dine with Jesus, people whom you would consider VIPs, your pastor, elders, deacons, or lay leaders, for example. As host, you're in charge of the seating arrangement. Assuming you have a round table that seats 12 people, where will Jesus sit? And since Jesus' left- and right-hand sides are places of highest honor, whom would you assign to sit next to Him?
As the disciples entered the upper room to eat the Passover meal, they were all intent on sitting in the places of honor. This was not the first time they had fought over who was numero uno (Matthew 20:20-24; Mark 9:33- 35,10:35-37; Luke 9:46). And the jostling surfaced yet again in the midst of the Passover meal (Luke 22:20,24), barely hours before Jesus was crucified.
It was not uncommon for Jesus' disciples to vie with one another over who would sit at His right and left. But as Christ's followers, we're to be different. Those who are truly great Christian examples take the lowest rank and become like a servant (v.26). Jesus Himself "got up from the table, took off His robe, wrapped a towel around His waist, and poured water into a basin. Then He began to wash the disciples' feet, drying them with the towel He had around Him" (John 13:4-5). Paul later commented, "Though He was God . . . He gave up His divine privileges; He took the humble position of a slave" (Philippians 2:6-7). Jesus showed us what it takes to be truly great.
When people look at you, do they see a leader in high position exerting authority? Or do they see a servant serving in humility? , K.T. Sim, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more