What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
In 1853, 21-year-old Hudson Taylor left Liverpool for China. His ship arrived in Shanghai, one of five treaty ports China had opened to foreigners following The First Opium War with England. Soon after arriving, Taylor made a radical decision (at least for Protestant missionaries of his day). He decided to wear Chinese clothing and grow a pigtail (as Chinese men commonly did).
Eighteen hundred years earlier, the apostle Paul lived out a similar missions philosophy: "When I was with the Jews, I lived like a Jew to bring the Jews to Christ" (1 Corinthians 9:20-21). It's likely that Paul would have insisted on wearing a Chinese "chang pao ma gua" complete with pigtail too.
While recuperating in England because of a sickness, and troubled that believers had little interest in China, Taylor wrote: "Can all the Christians in England sit still with folded arms while these multitudes [in China] are perishing, perishing for lack of knowledge, for lack of that knowledge which England possesses so richly?"
Taylor began the China Inland Mission, later called Overseas Missionary Fellowship, with a number of distinctive features: Its missionaries would have no guaranteed salaries nor could they appeal for funds; they would simply trust God to supply their needs. Furthermore, its missionaries would adopt Chinese dress and spread the gospel into China's interior.
Paul also felt compelled to preach the gospel to as many people as he could (vv.16,22). Though he could have asked (vv.11-15), Paul restrained from seeking support from the people to whom he was ministering. He wanted to preach the gospel without charge (vv.15,18). Both the apostle Paul and Hudson Taylor were men consumed by one singular passion: "I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings" (v.23). What's your passion?
--k.t. sim, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more