FulfilledWhy is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?
Top Music Videos
1 Samuel 23:1
David asked, “Will the leaders of Keilah betray me and my men
to Saul?” And the Lord replied, “Yes, they will betray you” (v.12).
Scene 1: David hears that Keilah is under attack.
David: “Should I help the people in Keilah?”
God: “Yes, go and help them.”
David: “Are you sure? It may cost us our lives.”
God: “Yes, go.”
Narrator: So David went and delivered Keilah from the
Scene 2: David catches wind of Saul’s strategy to destroy
him at Keilah.
David: “Will the leaders in Keilah help me?”
God: “No, they won’t. They will betray you instead.”
The Bible doesn’t tell us if David said anything to the
Keilah leaders in light of their ingratitude (1 Samuel
23:4,12). But I know what I would have done. If I had
been David, I would have been cursing them even as I
bolted from the “walled town” with my men (v.7).
David, however, simply arose and left the city. His
silence is instructional. It tells us that it doesn’t matter
how people treat us; what matters most is the way we
respond to God.
Four times we read that David inquired of the Lord. In
the first instance, when David heard of the misfortune
of others, instead of watching his own safety, he asked
God whether he should go and help (v.2). In the second
instance, he brought his question to God despite the
passionate pleas from his men who had already made up their minds not to
go (vv.3-4). In the third and fourth instances, David was in a tight spot because
God had led him there. Yet, instead of getting angry with God, he prayed and
awaited an answer (vv.10,12).
Do you want to be a person after God’s heart? David gave us a great
example: Seek the Lord’s will and do it. —Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 119:33 to see the relationship between knowing God’s
Word and keeping it.
What will happen if you begin to inquire of God consistently in the
big and small matters of your life? How have you been pursuing Him and
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more