Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
1 Samuel 23:1
David asked, “Will the leaders of Keilah betray me and my men
to Saul?” And the Lord replied, “Yes, they will betray you” (v.12).
Scene 1: David hears that Keilah is under attack.
David: “Should I help the people in Keilah?”
God: “Yes, go and help them.”
David: “Are you sure? It may cost us our lives.”
God: “Yes, go.”
Narrator: So David went and delivered Keilah from the
Scene 2: David catches wind of Saul’s strategy to destroy
him at Keilah.
David: “Will the leaders in Keilah help me?”
God: “No, they won’t. They will betray you instead.”
The Bible doesn’t tell us if David said anything to the
Keilah leaders in light of their ingratitude (1 Samuel
23:4,12). But I know what I would have done. If I had
been David, I would have been cursing them even as I
bolted from the “walled town” with my men (v.7).
David, however, simply arose and left the city. His
silence is instructional. It tells us that it doesn’t matter
how people treat us; what matters most is the way we
respond to God.
Four times we read that David inquired of the Lord. In
the first instance, when David heard of the misfortune
of others, instead of watching his own safety, he asked
God whether he should go and help (v.2). In the second
instance, he brought his question to God despite the
passionate pleas from his men who had already made up their minds not to
go (vv.3-4). In the third and fourth instances, David was in a tight spot because
God had led him there. Yet, instead of getting angry with God, he prayed and
awaited an answer (vv.10,12).
Do you want to be a person after God’s heart? David gave us a great
example: Seek the Lord’s will and do it. —Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 119:33 to see the relationship between knowing God’s
Word and keeping it.
What will happen if you begin to inquire of God consistently in the
big and small matters of your life? How have you been pursuing Him and
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more