Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Viva La Vida
Once the queen of all the earth, she is now a slave (v.1).
With lush orchestral chord progressions and an
infectious melody, Coldplay’s Viva la Vida
grabbed Song of the Year honors at the
2009 Grammys. That title, which means “long live life,”
conveys a bitter irony. The protagonist depicted in the
lyrics had held immense power but now was dealing
with a reversal of fortunes. “I used to rule the world,” the
words state, but now I “sweep the streets I used to own.”
Lamentations is a bitter song about Jerusalem’s reversal
of fortunes—“the queen of all the earth, she is now a
slave” (1:1). Besieged, then slaughtered by the brutal
Babylonian armies, the city’s horrifyingly desperate
circumstances had even induced mothers to cannibalize
their own children (2:20, 4:10). Jerusalem’s devastation
was God’s clear judgment for the sins of the people.
To the grief-dimmed eyes of the poet, God’s salvation
seemed almost impossibly distant. Almost.
Lamentations concludes with a curious, bittersweet
blend of hope and grief, doubt and faith. “Lord, You
remain the same forever! . . . Restore us, O Lord, and
bring us back to You again!” (5:19-21). Yet the book ends
with a hauntingly tentative question: “Are You angry with
us still?” (v.22).
Thankfully, the dirge of judgment is not the only song in
God’s Word. “I will sing a new song to You, O God,” said
the psalmist (Psalm 144:9). And the New Testament infuses
our new song with this triumphant declaration: “Now there is no condemnation for
those who belong to Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1). “The power of the life-giving Spirit
has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death” (v.2).
The song we sing today is often discordant. In eternity, however, it will be
indescribably lush, pure, exhilarating, and joyous. Viva la vida.
What is the context of the new song Isaiah urges his people to sing?
(Isaiah 42:8). Why was the Lord jealous? (v.8).
How would you describe your life’s song? How can your song help you
be honest before your Creator?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more