Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
Viva La Vida
Once the queen of all the earth, she is now a slave (v.1).
With lush orchestral chord progressions and an
infectious melody, Coldplay’s Viva la Vida
grabbed Song of the Year honors at the
2009 Grammys. That title, which means “long live life,”
conveys a bitter irony. The protagonist depicted in the
lyrics had held immense power but now was dealing
with a reversal of fortunes. “I used to rule the world,” the
words state, but now I “sweep the streets I used to own.”
Lamentations is a bitter song about Jerusalem’s reversal
of fortunes—“the queen of all the earth, she is now a
slave” (1:1). Besieged, then slaughtered by the brutal
Babylonian armies, the city’s horrifyingly desperate
circumstances had even induced mothers to cannibalize
their own children (2:20, 4:10). Jerusalem’s devastation
was God’s clear judgment for the sins of the people.
To the grief-dimmed eyes of the poet, God’s salvation
seemed almost impossibly distant. Almost.
Lamentations concludes with a curious, bittersweet
blend of hope and grief, doubt and faith. “Lord, You
remain the same forever! . . . Restore us, O Lord, and
bring us back to You again!” (5:19-21). Yet the book ends
with a hauntingly tentative question: “Are You angry with
us still?” (v.22).
Thankfully, the dirge of judgment is not the only song in
God’s Word. “I will sing a new song to You, O God,” said
the psalmist (Psalm 144:9). And the New Testament infuses
our new song with this triumphant declaration: “Now there is no condemnation for
those who belong to Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1). “The power of the life-giving Spirit
has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death” (v.2).
The song we sing today is often discordant. In eternity, however, it will be
indescribably lush, pure, exhilarating, and joyous. Viva la vida.
What is the context of the new song Isaiah urges his people to sing?
(Isaiah 42:8). Why was the Lord jealous? (v.8).
How would you describe your life’s song? How can your song help you
be honest before your Creator?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more