Connecting the DotsWhat good work is God doing in your life?
Top Music Videos
Viva La Vida
Once the queen of all the earth, she is now a slave (v.1).
With lush orchestral chord progressions and an
infectious melody, Coldplay’s Viva la Vida
grabbed Song of the Year honors at the
2009 Grammys. That title, which means “long live life,”
conveys a bitter irony. The protagonist depicted in the
lyrics had held immense power but now was dealing
with a reversal of fortunes. “I used to rule the world,” the
words state, but now I “sweep the streets I used to own.”
Lamentations is a bitter song about Jerusalem’s reversal
of fortunes—“the queen of all the earth, she is now a
slave” (1:1). Besieged, then slaughtered by the brutal
Babylonian armies, the city’s horrifyingly desperate
circumstances had even induced mothers to cannibalize
their own children (2:20, 4:10). Jerusalem’s devastation
was God’s clear judgment for the sins of the people.
To the grief-dimmed eyes of the poet, God’s salvation
seemed almost impossibly distant. Almost.
Lamentations concludes with a curious, bittersweet
blend of hope and grief, doubt and faith. “Lord, You
remain the same forever! . . . Restore us, O Lord, and
bring us back to You again!” (5:19-21). Yet the book ends
with a hauntingly tentative question: “Are You angry with
us still?” (v.22).
Thankfully, the dirge of judgment is not the only song in
God’s Word. “I will sing a new song to You, O God,” said
the psalmist (Psalm 144:9). And the New Testament infuses
our new song with this triumphant declaration: “Now there is no condemnation for
those who belong to Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1). “The power of the life-giving Spirit
has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death” (v.2).
The song we sing today is often discordant. In eternity, however, it will be
indescribably lush, pure, exhilarating, and joyous. Viva la vida.
What is the context of the new song Isaiah urges his people to sing?
(Isaiah 42:8). Why was the Lord jealous? (v.8).
How would you describe your life’s song? How can your song help you
be honest before your Creator?
- Connecting the Dots - What good work is God doing in your life?...read more
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more