Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
Silence of God
O Lord, how long will You forget me? Forever?
How long will You look the other way? (v.1).
She sits alone in her room—dark circles under her
eyes, tears running down her cheeks. Since her
teenage years, God has been her fulfillment, but
her heart still has gaps—empty places, hollow spaces,
unmet longings. And she has prayed, oh how she has
prayed for God to give her the desires of her heart. Or
to take them away. One or the other. But neither has
happened. Ten long years of waiting. “How long will
you forget me?” she whispers. “Forever?”
We may celebrate the goodness of God during times
of answered prayer and unexpected blessing, but sooner
or later, we all face the silence of God. Israel did (1 Sam.
3:1). Job did (Job 23:1-9). Asaph did—crying to God all
night without answer (Ps. 77:1-9). “Why do you hide when
I am in trouble?” David prayed (10:1). “Do not turn a deaf
ear to me,” he demanded (28:1). “How long must I struggle
with . . . sorrow in my heart every day?” he cried. “Turn
and answer me” (13:2-3). Even Jesus experienced the
deathly silence of the Father (Matt. 27:46).
What is God doing during His silence? Preparing
the answer to our request? Maybe. Testing the depth
of our devotion? Perhaps. Developing our character?
Undoubtedly. Christian martyrs of old were sawn in two
out of devotion to Jesus. Why shouldn’t we endure a little
pain as we mature? Sometimes, however, we may never
know why God is keeping quiet.
Thankfully, God does break His silence. He spoke to Israel (1 Samuel 3:4-14)
and Job (Job 38); the morning finally dawned for Asaph (Psalm 77:11-20) and
David (28:6-9); the silence of Good Friday was followed by the shout of Easter
But, until she hears from God, that girl—representing so many others—sits in
her room alone. Or is she? —Sheridan Voysey
Read Psalm 5:1-3. What
posture does David
suggest we take in the
midst of God’s silence?
How might Luke 18:6-8
as we wait?
Recall a period of God’s
silence in your life. How
did you grow through it?
How can you help others
who are experiencing the
silence of God? How will
you be God’s comfort as
Names of God by Laurell Hubick
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more