Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
Silence of God
O Lord, how long will You forget me? Forever?
How long will You look the other way? (v.1).
She sits alone in her room—dark circles under her
eyes, tears running down her cheeks. Since her
teenage years, God has been her fulfillment, but
her heart still has gaps—empty places, hollow spaces,
unmet longings. And she has prayed, oh how she has
prayed for God to give her the desires of her heart. Or
to take them away. One or the other. But neither has
happened. Ten long years of waiting. “How long will
you forget me?” she whispers. “Forever?”
We may celebrate the goodness of God during times
of answered prayer and unexpected blessing, but sooner
or later, we all face the silence of God. Israel did (1 Sam.
3:1). Job did (Job 23:1-9). Asaph did—crying to God all
night without answer (Ps. 77:1-9). “Why do you hide when
I am in trouble?” David prayed (10:1). “Do not turn a deaf
ear to me,” he demanded (28:1). “How long must I struggle
with . . . sorrow in my heart every day?” he cried. “Turn
and answer me” (13:2-3). Even Jesus experienced the
deathly silence of the Father (Matt. 27:46).
What is God doing during His silence? Preparing
the answer to our request? Maybe. Testing the depth
of our devotion? Perhaps. Developing our character?
Undoubtedly. Christian martyrs of old were sawn in two
out of devotion to Jesus. Why shouldn’t we endure a little
pain as we mature? Sometimes, however, we may never
know why God is keeping quiet.
Thankfully, God does break His silence. He spoke to Israel (1 Samuel 3:4-14)
and Job (Job 38); the morning finally dawned for Asaph (Psalm 77:11-20) and
David (28:6-9); the silence of Good Friday was followed by the shout of Easter
But, until she hears from God, that girl—representing so many others—sits in
her room alone. Or is she? —Sheridan Voysey
Read Psalm 5:1-3. What
posture does David
suggest we take in the
midst of God’s silence?
How might Luke 18:6-8
as we wait?
Recall a period of God’s
silence in your life. How
did you grow through it?
How can you help others
who are experiencing the
silence of God? How will
you be God’s comfort as
Names of God by Laurell Hubick
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more