Treasure that LastsWhat legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?
Top Christian Music Videos
Silence of God
O Lord, how long will You forget me? Forever?
How long will You look the other way? (v.1).
She sits alone in her room—dark circles under her
eyes, tears running down her cheeks. Since her
teenage years, God has been her fulfillment, but
her heart still has gaps—empty places, hollow spaces,
unmet longings. And she has prayed, oh how she has
prayed for God to give her the desires of her heart. Or
to take them away. One or the other. But neither has
happened. Ten long years of waiting. “How long will
you forget me?” she whispers. “Forever?”
We may celebrate the goodness of God during times
of answered prayer and unexpected blessing, but sooner
or later, we all face the silence of God. Israel did (1 Sam.
3:1). Job did (Job 23:1-9). Asaph did—crying to God all
night without answer (Ps. 77:1-9). “Why do you hide when
I am in trouble?” David prayed (10:1). “Do not turn a deaf
ear to me,” he demanded (28:1). “How long must I struggle
with . . . sorrow in my heart every day?” he cried. “Turn
and answer me” (13:2-3). Even Jesus experienced the
deathly silence of the Father (Matt. 27:46).
What is God doing during His silence? Preparing
the answer to our request? Maybe. Testing the depth
of our devotion? Perhaps. Developing our character?
Undoubtedly. Christian martyrs of old were sawn in two
out of devotion to Jesus. Why shouldn’t we endure a little
pain as we mature? Sometimes, however, we may never
know why God is keeping quiet.
Thankfully, God does break His silence. He spoke to Israel (1 Samuel 3:4-14)
and Job (Job 38); the morning finally dawned for Asaph (Psalm 77:11-20) and
David (28:6-9); the silence of Good Friday was followed by the shout of Easter
But, until she hears from God, that girl—representing so many others—sits in
her room alone. Or is she? —Sheridan Voysey
Read Psalm 5:1-3. What
posture does David
suggest we take in the
midst of God’s silence?
How might Luke 18:6-8
as we wait?
Recall a period of God’s
silence in your life. How
did you grow through it?
How can you help others
who are experiencing the
silence of God? How will
you be God’s comfort as
Names of God by Laurell Hubick
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more