The Gentle WayWhat does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Silence of God
O Lord, how long will You forget me? Forever?
How long will You look the other way? (v.1).
She sits alone in her room—dark circles under her
eyes, tears running down her cheeks. Since her
teenage years, God has been her fulfillment, but
her heart still has gaps—empty places, hollow spaces,
unmet longings. And she has prayed, oh how she has
prayed for God to give her the desires of her heart. Or
to take them away. One or the other. But neither has
happened. Ten long years of waiting. “How long will
you forget me?” she whispers. “Forever?”
We may celebrate the goodness of God during times
of answered prayer and unexpected blessing, but sooner
or later, we all face the silence of God. Israel did (1 Sam.
3:1). Job did (Job 23:1-9). Asaph did—crying to God all
night without answer (Ps. 77:1-9). “Why do you hide when
I am in trouble?” David prayed (10:1). “Do not turn a deaf
ear to me,” he demanded (28:1). “How long must I struggle
with . . . sorrow in my heart every day?” he cried. “Turn
and answer me” (13:2-3). Even Jesus experienced the
deathly silence of the Father (Matt. 27:46).
What is God doing during His silence? Preparing
the answer to our request? Maybe. Testing the depth
of our devotion? Perhaps. Developing our character?
Undoubtedly. Christian martyrs of old were sawn in two
out of devotion to Jesus. Why shouldn’t we endure a little
pain as we mature? Sometimes, however, we may never
know why God is keeping quiet.
Thankfully, God does break His silence. He spoke to Israel (1 Samuel 3:4-14)
and Job (Job 38); the morning finally dawned for Asaph (Psalm 77:11-20) and
David (28:6-9); the silence of Good Friday was followed by the shout of Easter
But, until she hears from God, that girl—representing so many others—sits in
her room alone. Or is she? —Sheridan Voysey
Read Psalm 5:1-3. What
posture does David
suggest we take in the
midst of God’s silence?
How might Luke 18:6-8
as we wait?
Recall a period of God’s
silence in your life. How
did you grow through it?
How can you help others
who are experiencing the
silence of God? How will
you be God’s comfort as
Names of God by Laurell Hubick
- The Gentle Way - What does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?...read more
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more