Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
I'm fascinated when I watch my cats stalk a rodent in the field next to our home. Crouching noiselessly in the weeds, they show remarkable patience as they wait for an unsuspecting critter to stray just a bit too close.
In Genesis 4, sin is given a catlike characteristic. It crouches in wait and desires to have us.
Cain was angry with God, as well as his brother Abel. God had accepted Abel's sacrifice but not Cain's. God graciously gave Cain a second chance to bring the proper offering. He pleaded with him, "You will be accepted if you do what is right. But . . . watch out! Sin is crouching at the door" (v.7).
But Cain's anger soon mutated into hate, and he arrogantly refused to master his sin. Instead, he chose to yield to his hatred. Since he couldn't kill God, Cain killed his own brother (v.8).
Jesus warned us that the most horrible outward sins, like murder, start in the heart. "If you are even angry with someone, you are subject to judgment" (Matthew 5:22). And Peter said, "Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour" (1 Peter 5:8).
Often, we treat our sins like pets rather than killers. We convince ourselves that if they're hidden, or accepted by those around us, they're harmless. But sin crouches in the underbrush, waiting for the right moment to devour us.
Satan will pretend to love you so you'll feed and nurture your sins. Don't be fooled. "Stand firm against [the devil]," says Peter. "and be strong in your faith" (5:9).
Unlike the deceptive ways of the evil one, God's love and concern for you is always genuine. Help to fight the crouching one is only a prayer away. , Tim Gustafson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more