True FellowshipWhat comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?
Top Music Videos
The Comfort of God
All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort (v.3).
Sometimes I wish life was like more like an episode of the television drama House. The show is about an egotistical but genius medical sleuth (Dr. Gregory House) who diagnoses and treats mysterious, life-threatening illnesses.
During one episode, the doctor and his cohorts eventually determined that a very ill patient had somehow contracted a rare but deadly disease from ingesting parasitic worms. The parasites simply hung out for a year, dormant in the patient’s intestines, until something woke them up and they began to hatch and attack the patient’s vital organs. Once properly diagnosed, the patient was cured by a round of antibiotics.
Again, I wish it were that simple when it comes to treating the “afflictions” of the soul. While medications can be legitimately helpful, there isn’t a pill we can pop that will cure what ails our hearts. Only in the new heaven and new earth does God promise to eliminate the pain of living in a broken world (Revelation 21:3). In this life, however, He does promise His comfort.
The apostle Paul began his follow-up letter to the church in Corinth by telling them that God “comforts us in all of our troubles” (2 Corinthians 2:4). From his own personal hardships (11:24-27), Paul valued the comfort that comes through God’s Spirit within us and through His people around us.
In the same letter, Paul explained how God used Titus’ arrival to comfort him during a time of great personal unrest (7:5-6). His friend’s mere presence lifted his spirits, but Paul found great encouragement in hearing that others cared about him as well (v.7).
God’s comfort renewed Paul’s spirit and kept him from losing heart. It will do the same for us!
Note what Paul wrote about the benefits of receiving God’s comfort (2 Corinthians 1:4).
Consider putting God’s comfort on your Christmas “wish-list.” How will you share His comfort with someone this week?
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more