MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
In 1990, Bette Midler recorded the song From a Distance. Her rendition became an instant hit, soaring to the top of the pop charts. Not only did it win a Grammy, it went on to become one of the most requested songs on Saudi Band Radio during the First Gulf War.
The chorus to the song states, "God is watching us. God is watching us. God is watching us, from a distance."
God is watching us. That reassuring thought is a likely reason why so many in the military were drawn to the song. But the song has it wrong, God is not watching over us from a distance.
God isn't peering over the edge of heaven's walls, looking down on us from far, far away. The message of the Bible is that God is near (Psalm 145:17-19). That's why the baby Jesus received a very special name: "Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son, and they will call Him Immanuel, which means â€˜God is with us' " (Matthew 1:23). The apostle John wrote that Jesus "became human and made His home among us" (John 1:14). And after rising from the dead, as He was about to ascend into heaven, He said to His followers, "Be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:20).
Though Jesus is "away" from us in His glorified body, God's Spirit lives in the hearts of those of us who are His children by faith (Galatians 4:6). The New Testament encourages us to "come close to God, and God will come close to you" (James 4:8).
That's anything but distant.
God is truly with us, not simply to keep us in line but to help us overcome the evil one, and to live the life He meant for us to live (1 John 3:8). , Jeff Olson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more