Timeless GrooveWhat lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?
Top Christian Music Videos
Go and love your wife again, even though she commits adultery with another lover. This will illustrate that the Lord still loves Israel, even though the people have turned to other gods and love to worship them (v.1).
Go and love the person who has disappointed you!” “Huh? No way. I don’t want to be hurt again!” Without a shadow of a doubt, it’s difficult to love someone with a proven track record of disappointing you. But that’s exactly what God instructed Hosea to do (Hosea 3:1). He was to go and be reconciled to Gomer, even though she didn’t deserve reconciliation. In fact, her actions had negatively affected his reputation and almost ruined their relationship.
In taking the step of obedience, however, Hosea took a risk. In verse 2, we read that Hosea redeemed Gomer, revealing his love for her. But their relationship didn’t immediately reset back to good times. There was a period of abstaining that Hosea required of his wayward wife (v.3). The time was needed for Gomer to change and grow while new spiritual sensitivity replaced old carnality.
One preacher summed it up this way, “[Hosea] redeems her, but it is because he wants to serve her, not make his own life better by gratifying his own ego or needs. He wants to be part of God’s redemptive plan for her recovery spiritually, emotionally, and relationally.”
Hosea’s love for Gomer reflects God’s love for His people. It illustrates “that the Lord still loves Israel” (v.1). That same redeeming love was seen when Jesus died on the cross for us (Romans 5:8). He didn’t wait for us to get better and then come looking for Him. He reached out to us. And, as believers, we experience His redeeming love time and time again.
Can we risk loving again? Yes, we can when we remember that a relationship is not just between two persons. There’s an important third Person in the mix— Jesus. We love because He first loved us (1 John 1:19).
—Poh Fang Chia
Who is the Gomer in your life? How can you love that person in Jesus? How have you experienced the redeeming love of God?
- Timeless Groove - What lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?...read more
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more