True FellowshipWhat comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?
Top Music Videos
Go and love your wife again, even though she commits adultery with another lover. This will illustrate that the Lord still loves Israel, even though the people have turned to other gods and love to worship them (v.1).
Go and love the person who has disappointed you!” “Huh? No way. I don’t want to be hurt again!” Without a shadow of a doubt, it’s difficult to love someone with a proven track record of disappointing you. But that’s exactly what God instructed Hosea to do (Hosea 3:1). He was to go and be reconciled to Gomer, even though she didn’t deserve reconciliation. In fact, her actions had negatively affected his reputation and almost ruined their relationship.
In taking the step of obedience, however, Hosea took a risk. In verse 2, we read that Hosea redeemed Gomer, revealing his love for her. But their relationship didn’t immediately reset back to good times. There was a period of abstaining that Hosea required of his wayward wife (v.3). The time was needed for Gomer to change and grow while new spiritual sensitivity replaced old carnality.
One preacher summed it up this way, “[Hosea] redeems her, but it is because he wants to serve her, not make his own life better by gratifying his own ego or needs. He wants to be part of God’s redemptive plan for her recovery spiritually, emotionally, and relationally.”
Hosea’s love for Gomer reflects God’s love for His people. It illustrates “that the Lord still loves Israel” (v.1). That same redeeming love was seen when Jesus died on the cross for us (Romans 5:8). He didn’t wait for us to get better and then come looking for Him. He reached out to us. And, as believers, we experience His redeeming love time and time again.
Can we risk loving again? Yes, we can when we remember that a relationship is not just between two persons. There’s an important third Person in the mix— Jesus. We love because He first loved us (1 John 1:19).
—Poh Fang Chia
Who is the Gomer in your life? How can you love that person in Jesus? How have you experienced the redeeming love of God?
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more