Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
Wednesday October 16
being messed with
I played football, baseball, and golf in high school. I’ve had multiple exercise routines over the years and now run 5 or 6 days a week. No one would ever call me limber, however. For years, trainers have encouraged me to stretch and coax my muscles to be more flexible. I agree with the idea, but I’ve never wanted to endure the pain and inconvenience required to follow the advice. Stretching hurts. But with the years piling up, I’ve determined that I must heed the trainers’ wisdom. I’m clinging to the hope that the work will be worth it in the end; but for now, these stretching exercises are truly a pain.
In Colossians, Paul cast a vision for a new humanity, an entirely new order of human existence brought into being by Jesus Christ, the One whose divine life has been set loose in the world. Jesus is the head of this new human body—the church. And this new humanity allows for all things to be reconciled (all races, nations, and creation) in Christ (1:20).
But it’s impossible to have a new humanity without our current humanity getting messed with and upended. We like the idea of God making things right, so long as those things He makes right fit perfectly with the things that we assume need to be made right—and nothing more.
God’s new creation and humanity, however, remake the world from the ground up. This restoration begins with the family—wives, husbands, and children (3:18-20). Then it transforms our work and our vocations and even unjust scenarios like those faced in the first century (vv.22-24). Finally, the gospel upends the way we use our power, the way masters exert their influence (4:1).
God messes with and transforms everything. —Winn Collier
Remember that you also have a Master— in heaven (4:1).
Read through the Colossians text again. Mark down the specific ways that God transforms each of the people groups and each area of life.
Where do you believe you most need God’s transformation? How has God been messing with you?
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more