Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Wednesday October 16
being messed with
I played football, baseball, and golf in high school. I’ve had multiple exercise routines over the years and now run 5 or 6 days a week. No one would ever call me limber, however. For years, trainers have encouraged me to stretch and coax my muscles to be more flexible. I agree with the idea, but I’ve never wanted to endure the pain and inconvenience required to follow the advice. Stretching hurts. But with the years piling up, I’ve determined that I must heed the trainers’ wisdom. I’m clinging to the hope that the work will be worth it in the end; but for now, these stretching exercises are truly a pain.
In Colossians, Paul cast a vision for a new humanity, an entirely new order of human existence brought into being by Jesus Christ, the One whose divine life has been set loose in the world. Jesus is the head of this new human body—the church. And this new humanity allows for all things to be reconciled (all races, nations, and creation) in Christ (1:20).
But it’s impossible to have a new humanity without our current humanity getting messed with and upended. We like the idea of God making things right, so long as those things He makes right fit perfectly with the things that we assume need to be made right—and nothing more.
God’s new creation and humanity, however, remake the world from the ground up. This restoration begins with the family—wives, husbands, and children (3:18-20). Then it transforms our work and our vocations and even unjust scenarios like those faced in the first century (vv.22-24). Finally, the gospel upends the way we use our power, the way masters exert their influence (4:1).
God messes with and transforms everything. —Winn Collier
Remember that you also have a Master— in heaven (4:1).
Read through the Colossians text again. Mark down the specific ways that God transforms each of the people groups and each area of life.
Where do you believe you most need God’s transformation? How has God been messing with you?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more