Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
Wednesday October 16
being messed with
I played football, baseball, and golf in high school. I’ve had multiple exercise routines over the years and now run 5 or 6 days a week. No one would ever call me limber, however. For years, trainers have encouraged me to stretch and coax my muscles to be more flexible. I agree with the idea, but I’ve never wanted to endure the pain and inconvenience required to follow the advice. Stretching hurts. But with the years piling up, I’ve determined that I must heed the trainers’ wisdom. I’m clinging to the hope that the work will be worth it in the end; but for now, these stretching exercises are truly a pain.
In Colossians, Paul cast a vision for a new humanity, an entirely new order of human existence brought into being by Jesus Christ, the One whose divine life has been set loose in the world. Jesus is the head of this new human body—the church. And this new humanity allows for all things to be reconciled (all races, nations, and creation) in Christ (1:20).
But it’s impossible to have a new humanity without our current humanity getting messed with and upended. We like the idea of God making things right, so long as those things He makes right fit perfectly with the things that we assume need to be made right—and nothing more.
God’s new creation and humanity, however, remake the world from the ground up. This restoration begins with the family—wives, husbands, and children (3:18-20). Then it transforms our work and our vocations and even unjust scenarios like those faced in the first century (vv.22-24). Finally, the gospel upends the way we use our power, the way masters exert their influence (4:1).
God messes with and transforms everything. —Winn Collier
Remember that you also have a Master— in heaven (4:1).
Read through the Colossians text again. Mark down the specific ways that God transforms each of the people groups and each area of life.
Where do you believe you most need God’s transformation? How has God been messing with you?
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more