Representing JesusIn what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?
Top Music Videos
Wednesday October 16
being messed with
I played football, baseball, and golf in high school. I’ve had multiple exercise routines over the years and now run 5 or 6 days a week. No one would ever call me limber, however. For years, trainers have encouraged me to stretch and coax my muscles to be more flexible. I agree with the idea, but I’ve never wanted to endure the pain and inconvenience required to follow the advice. Stretching hurts. But with the years piling up, I’ve determined that I must heed the trainers’ wisdom. I’m clinging to the hope that the work will be worth it in the end; but for now, these stretching exercises are truly a pain.
In Colossians, Paul cast a vision for a new humanity, an entirely new order of human existence brought into being by Jesus Christ, the One whose divine life has been set loose in the world. Jesus is the head of this new human body—the church. And this new humanity allows for all things to be reconciled (all races, nations, and creation) in Christ (1:20).
But it’s impossible to have a new humanity without our current humanity getting messed with and upended. We like the idea of God making things right, so long as those things He makes right fit perfectly with the things that we assume need to be made right—and nothing more.
God’s new creation and humanity, however, remake the world from the ground up. This restoration begins with the family—wives, husbands, and children (3:18-20). Then it transforms our work and our vocations and even unjust scenarios like those faced in the first century (vv.22-24). Finally, the gospel upends the way we use our power, the way masters exert their influence (4:1).
God messes with and transforms everything. —Winn Collier
Remember that you also have a Master— in heaven (4:1).
Read through the Colossians text again. Mark down the specific ways that God transforms each of the people groups and each area of life.
Where do you believe you most need God’s transformation? How has God been messing with you?
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more