Kindness and HospitalityHow are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Amen! We typically say it at the end of our prayers, but Amen has more significance than simply being the last word in a prayer. Of the 30 times it’s used in the Old Testament, Amen is nearly always a response of approval to something that has been stated.
God seemed to respond to Solomon’s dedicatory prayer for the temple with, Amen, let it be so! Upon the completion of the temple, Solomon and the people gathered together to dedicate it. While reigning in heaven, God had chosen to reveal His presence on earth from the newly built edifice. After blessing the people, Solomon offered a prayer of dedication to the Lord. This prayer was one of humility (2 Chronicles 6:12-13), recognition of the faithfulness of God (vv.14-15), desire for justice (vv.22-23), forgiveness and repentance (vv.24- 27), desire to see the foreigner experience God’s presence (vv.32-33), and a prayer for the Lord’s enduring presence in the temple (vv.41-42).
God answered Solomon’s prayer in dramatic fashion. Fire came down from heaven and consumed the burnt offerings, and the glory of the Lord filled the temple (7:1). God was approving the dedication and use of the temple as He had intended—for encounters between Himself and His people through sacrifices and prayer. Yes, it’s as if God said “Amen” to Solomon’s prayer.
As believers in Jesus, our body is the new temple where God dwells. He dwells there by the presence of the Holy Spirit. As we submit to Him, He helps us to build and orient our lives for transforming encounters with Him—the living God.
Let’s dedicate, offer, and sacrifice our lives so we too can experience God’s enduring presence and His Amen. —Marvin Williams
2 Chronicles 7:1-10
When Solomon finished praying, fire flashed down from heaven and burned up the burnt offerings and sacrifices, and the glorious presence of the Lord filled the temple (v.1).
Read 2 Chronicles 5 and note the similarities and differences of the two accounts of God’s glory filling the temple.
What in your life do you need to rededicate to God? How have you experienced the enduring and overwhelming presence of God recently?
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more