FearlessHow can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?
Top Christian Music Videos
Amen! We typically say it at the end of our prayers, but Amen has more significance than simply being the last word in a prayer. Of the 30 times it’s used in the Old Testament, Amen is nearly always a response of approval to something that has been stated.
God seemed to respond to Solomon’s dedicatory prayer for the temple with, Amen, let it be so! Upon the completion of the temple, Solomon and the people gathered together to dedicate it. While reigning in heaven, God had chosen to reveal His presence on earth from the newly built edifice. After blessing the people, Solomon offered a prayer of dedication to the Lord. This prayer was one of humility (2 Chronicles 6:12-13), recognition of the faithfulness of God (vv.14-15), desire for justice (vv.22-23), forgiveness and repentance (vv.24- 27), desire to see the foreigner experience God’s presence (vv.32-33), and a prayer for the Lord’s enduring presence in the temple (vv.41-42).
God answered Solomon’s prayer in dramatic fashion. Fire came down from heaven and consumed the burnt offerings, and the glory of the Lord filled the temple (7:1). God was approving the dedication and use of the temple as He had intended—for encounters between Himself and His people through sacrifices and prayer. Yes, it’s as if God said “Amen” to Solomon’s prayer.
As believers in Jesus, our body is the new temple where God dwells. He dwells there by the presence of the Holy Spirit. As we submit to Him, He helps us to build and orient our lives for transforming encounters with Him—the living God.
Let’s dedicate, offer, and sacrifice our lives so we too can experience God’s enduring presence and His Amen. —Marvin Williams
2 Chronicles 7:1-10
When Solomon finished praying, fire flashed down from heaven and burned up the burnt offerings and sacrifices, and the glorious presence of the Lord filled the temple (v.1).
Read 2 Chronicles 5 and note the similarities and differences of the two accounts of God’s glory filling the temple.
What in your life do you need to rededicate to God? How have you experienced the enduring and overwhelming presence of God recently?
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more