The Ultimate SourceGod’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways.
Top Christian Music Videos
Amen! We typically say it at the end of our prayers, but Amen has more significance than simply being the last word in a prayer. Of the 30 times it’s used in the Old Testament, Amen is nearly always a response of approval to something that has been stated.
God seemed to respond to Solomon’s dedicatory prayer for the temple with, Amen, let it be so! Upon the completion of the temple, Solomon and the people gathered together to dedicate it. While reigning in heaven, God had chosen to reveal His presence on earth from the newly built edifice. After blessing the people, Solomon offered a prayer of dedication to the Lord. This prayer was one of humility (2 Chronicles 6:12-13), recognition of the faithfulness of God (vv.14-15), desire for justice (vv.22-23), forgiveness and repentance (vv.24- 27), desire to see the foreigner experience God’s presence (vv.32-33), and a prayer for the Lord’s enduring presence in the temple (vv.41-42).
God answered Solomon’s prayer in dramatic fashion. Fire came down from heaven and consumed the burnt offerings, and the glory of the Lord filled the temple (7:1). God was approving the dedication and use of the temple as He had intended—for encounters between Himself and His people through sacrifices and prayer. Yes, it’s as if God said “Amen” to Solomon’s prayer.
As believers in Jesus, our body is the new temple where God dwells. He dwells there by the presence of the Holy Spirit. As we submit to Him, He helps us to build and orient our lives for transforming encounters with Him—the living God.
Let’s dedicate, offer, and sacrifice our lives so we too can experience God’s enduring presence and His Amen. —Marvin Williams
2 Chronicles 7:1-10
When Solomon finished praying, fire flashed down from heaven and burned up the burnt offerings and sacrifices, and the glorious presence of the Lord filled the temple (v.1).
Read 2 Chronicles 5 and note the similarities and differences of the two accounts of God’s glory filling the temple.
What in your life do you need to rededicate to God? How have you experienced the enduring and overwhelming presence of God recently?
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more