DistractionWhat’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?
Top Christian Music Videos
Wednesday October 30
worth the wait
Everybody is waiting for something. What are you waiting for—employment, marriage, family peace? Imagine having to wait centuries for the fulfillment of a promise, but there was no evidence that it would be fulfilled. This was the spiritual and emotional climate during the time Jesus was born. People were waiting for God to fulfill the promise of restoration through the Messiah, but the political, social, and spiritual darkness concealed any evidence that God would keep His promise. Many people became weary of being righteous. Yet, there was a man who continued to wait and trust in God’s promise (Luke 2:25).
After the Holy Spirit revealed to him that he would not see death until he saw the Messiah, Simeon kept waiting and hoping for the true comfort of God’s people (v.26). As Mary and Joseph entered the temple with Jesus one day, Simeon probably asked for the 10,000th time: “Is this the one?” The Holy Spirit responded: “Yes! This is the One!” The wait was finally over. Simeon held in his arms the salvation for all people (v.28). Jesus was the consolation for God’s people, bringing the comfort of a restored and renewed relationship with Him (vv.30-31).
We no longer have to wait for Messiah. He lived and died so that we can be restored to God. As believers in Jesus, however, sometimes we find ourselves in a waiting season. The Holy Spirit wants us to hear afresh the words with which Isaiah encouraged God’s people: “But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, they run and don’t get tired, they walk and don’t lag behind” (Isaiah 40:31 MSG).
God’s restoration and renewal are worth the wait. —Marvin Williams
[Simeon] was righteous and devout and was eagerly waiting for the Messiah to come and rescue Israel. The Holy Spirit was upon him (v.25).
Read Hebrews 6:15. What did Abraham do as he looked forward to the fulfillment of God’s promise?
When have you become weary as you waited for God to act? What encouraged you to remain patient and hopeful during this difficult season?
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more
- How Much God Loves You - What prevents you from accepting God’s love?...read more