Kindness and HospitalityHow are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Wednesday October 30
worth the wait
Everybody is waiting for something. What are you waiting for—employment, marriage, family peace? Imagine having to wait centuries for the fulfillment of a promise, but there was no evidence that it would be fulfilled. This was the spiritual and emotional climate during the time Jesus was born. People were waiting for God to fulfill the promise of restoration through the Messiah, but the political, social, and spiritual darkness concealed any evidence that God would keep His promise. Many people became weary of being righteous. Yet, there was a man who continued to wait and trust in God’s promise (Luke 2:25).
After the Holy Spirit revealed to him that he would not see death until he saw the Messiah, Simeon kept waiting and hoping for the true comfort of God’s people (v.26). As Mary and Joseph entered the temple with Jesus one day, Simeon probably asked for the 10,000th time: “Is this the one?” The Holy Spirit responded: “Yes! This is the One!” The wait was finally over. Simeon held in his arms the salvation for all people (v.28). Jesus was the consolation for God’s people, bringing the comfort of a restored and renewed relationship with Him (vv.30-31).
We no longer have to wait for Messiah. He lived and died so that we can be restored to God. As believers in Jesus, however, sometimes we find ourselves in a waiting season. The Holy Spirit wants us to hear afresh the words with which Isaiah encouraged God’s people: “But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, they run and don’t get tired, they walk and don’t lag behind” (Isaiah 40:31 MSG).
God’s restoration and renewal are worth the wait. —Marvin Williams
[Simeon] was righteous and devout and was eagerly waiting for the Messiah to come and rescue Israel. The Holy Spirit was upon him (v.25).
Read Hebrews 6:15. What did Abraham do as he looked forward to the fulfillment of God’s promise?
When have you become weary as you waited for God to act? What encouraged you to remain patient and hopeful during this difficult season?
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more