Test of CourageRead Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God.
Top Christian Music Videos
Wednesday October 30
worth the wait
Everybody is waiting for something. What are you waiting for—employment, marriage, family peace? Imagine having to wait centuries for the fulfillment of a promise, but there was no evidence that it would be fulfilled. This was the spiritual and emotional climate during the time Jesus was born. People were waiting for God to fulfill the promise of restoration through the Messiah, but the political, social, and spiritual darkness concealed any evidence that God would keep His promise. Many people became weary of being righteous. Yet, there was a man who continued to wait and trust in God’s promise (Luke 2:25).
After the Holy Spirit revealed to him that he would not see death until he saw the Messiah, Simeon kept waiting and hoping for the true comfort of God’s people (v.26). As Mary and Joseph entered the temple with Jesus one day, Simeon probably asked for the 10,000th time: “Is this the one?” The Holy Spirit responded: “Yes! This is the One!” The wait was finally over. Simeon held in his arms the salvation for all people (v.28). Jesus was the consolation for God’s people, bringing the comfort of a restored and renewed relationship with Him (vv.30-31).
We no longer have to wait for Messiah. He lived and died so that we can be restored to God. As believers in Jesus, however, sometimes we find ourselves in a waiting season. The Holy Spirit wants us to hear afresh the words with which Isaiah encouraged God’s people: “But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, they run and don’t get tired, they walk and don’t lag behind” (Isaiah 40:31 MSG).
God’s restoration and renewal are worth the wait. —Marvin Williams
[Simeon] was righteous and devout and was eagerly waiting for the Messiah to come and rescue Israel. The Holy Spirit was upon him (v.25).
Read Hebrews 6:15. What did Abraham do as he looked forward to the fulfillment of God’s promise?
When have you become weary as you waited for God to act? What encouraged you to remain patient and hopeful during this difficult season?
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more