Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
Wednesday October 30
worth the wait
Everybody is waiting for something. What are you waiting for—employment, marriage, family peace? Imagine having to wait centuries for the fulfillment of a promise, but there was no evidence that it would be fulfilled. This was the spiritual and emotional climate during the time Jesus was born. People were waiting for God to fulfill the promise of restoration through the Messiah, but the political, social, and spiritual darkness concealed any evidence that God would keep His promise. Many people became weary of being righteous. Yet, there was a man who continued to wait and trust in God’s promise (Luke 2:25).
After the Holy Spirit revealed to him that he would not see death until he saw the Messiah, Simeon kept waiting and hoping for the true comfort of God’s people (v.26). As Mary and Joseph entered the temple with Jesus one day, Simeon probably asked for the 10,000th time: “Is this the one?” The Holy Spirit responded: “Yes! This is the One!” The wait was finally over. Simeon held in his arms the salvation for all people (v.28). Jesus was the consolation for God’s people, bringing the comfort of a restored and renewed relationship with Him (vv.30-31).
We no longer have to wait for Messiah. He lived and died so that we can be restored to God. As believers in Jesus, however, sometimes we find ourselves in a waiting season. The Holy Spirit wants us to hear afresh the words with which Isaiah encouraged God’s people: “But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, they run and don’t get tired, they walk and don’t lag behind” (Isaiah 40:31 MSG).
God’s restoration and renewal are worth the wait. —Marvin Williams
[Simeon] was righteous and devout and was eagerly waiting for the Messiah to come and rescue Israel. The Holy Spirit was upon him (v.25).
Read Hebrews 6:15. What did Abraham do as he looked forward to the fulfillment of God’s promise?
When have you become weary as you waited for God to act? What encouraged you to remain patient and hopeful during this difficult season?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more