Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
Wednesday October 30
worth the wait
Everybody is waiting for something. What are you waiting for—employment, marriage, family peace? Imagine having to wait centuries for the fulfillment of a promise, but there was no evidence that it would be fulfilled. This was the spiritual and emotional climate during the time Jesus was born. People were waiting for God to fulfill the promise of restoration through the Messiah, but the political, social, and spiritual darkness concealed any evidence that God would keep His promise. Many people became weary of being righteous. Yet, there was a man who continued to wait and trust in God’s promise (Luke 2:25).
After the Holy Spirit revealed to him that he would not see death until he saw the Messiah, Simeon kept waiting and hoping for the true comfort of God’s people (v.26). As Mary and Joseph entered the temple with Jesus one day, Simeon probably asked for the 10,000th time: “Is this the one?” The Holy Spirit responded: “Yes! This is the One!” The wait was finally over. Simeon held in his arms the salvation for all people (v.28). Jesus was the consolation for God’s people, bringing the comfort of a restored and renewed relationship with Him (vv.30-31).
We no longer have to wait for Messiah. He lived and died so that we can be restored to God. As believers in Jesus, however, sometimes we find ourselves in a waiting season. The Holy Spirit wants us to hear afresh the words with which Isaiah encouraged God’s people: “But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, they run and don’t get tired, they walk and don’t lag behind” (Isaiah 40:31 MSG).
God’s restoration and renewal are worth the wait. —Marvin Williams
[Simeon] was righteous and devout and was eagerly waiting for the Messiah to come and rescue Israel. The Holy Spirit was upon him (v.25).
Read Hebrews 6:15. What did Abraham do as he looked forward to the fulfillment of God’s promise?
When have you become weary as you waited for God to act? What encouraged you to remain patient and hopeful during this difficult season?
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more