WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
Monday September 23
truly human (again)
Last year at an international summit of world powers in Doha, the capital of Qatar, global leaders launched the Educate A Child project. The project seeks to build bridges between nations, calling us to recognize our shared humanity and to intervene on behalf of those at risk. Further, the project believes that funding children’s development will ultimately yield to a more peaceful world.
The apostle Paul suggests that through Jesus, God has opened up a new possibility for all the people of the world—an entirely new way of being human. God created humanity good, but our rebellious choices have marred God’s work. Rather than abandon us, God fashioned a way for us to be “renewed . . . in the image of [our] Creator” (Colossians 3:10 NIV). With this renewal, God returns us to the good, human life He intended from the beginning.
Our new life, renewed in Jesus, sheds “sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires” (v.5). It casts off anger, malicious behavior, and slander (v.8). In return, our new life transforms our human nature and reorders our core human identity (no longer Jew or Gentile; v.11).
C. S. Lewis wrote: “One has the picture of a diver, stripping off garment after garment, making himself naked, then flashing for a moment in the air, and then down through the green, and warm, and sunlit water into the pitch black, cold, freezing water, down into the mud and slime, then up again, his lungs almost bursting, back again to the green and warm and sunlit water, and then at last out into sunshine, holding in his hand the dripping thing he went down to get. The thing is human nature; but, associated with it, all nature, the new universe.” —Winn Collier
Put on your new nature (v.10).
Scan Genesis 1–2. What picture do you get of the kind of humanity God intended for us? How does Jesus renew this vision?
Where does your humanity need to be renewed in Jesus? Where does the humanity of our world need to be renewed?
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more