The Lost VirtueIn what common circumstances are you most impatient?
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday September 23
truly human (again)
Last year at an international summit of world powers in Doha, the capital of Qatar, global leaders launched the Educate A Child project. The project seeks to build bridges between nations, calling us to recognize our shared humanity and to intervene on behalf of those at risk. Further, the project believes that funding children’s development will ultimately yield to a more peaceful world.
The apostle Paul suggests that through Jesus, God has opened up a new possibility for all the people of the world—an entirely new way of being human. God created humanity good, but our rebellious choices have marred God’s work. Rather than abandon us, God fashioned a way for us to be “renewed . . . in the image of [our] Creator” (Colossians 3:10 NIV). With this renewal, God returns us to the good, human life He intended from the beginning.
Our new life, renewed in Jesus, sheds “sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires” (v.5). It casts off anger, malicious behavior, and slander (v.8). In return, our new life transforms our human nature and reorders our core human identity (no longer Jew or Gentile; v.11).
C. S. Lewis wrote: “One has the picture of a diver, stripping off garment after garment, making himself naked, then flashing for a moment in the air, and then down through the green, and warm, and sunlit water into the pitch black, cold, freezing water, down into the mud and slime, then up again, his lungs almost bursting, back again to the green and warm and sunlit water, and then at last out into sunshine, holding in his hand the dripping thing he went down to get. The thing is human nature; but, associated with it, all nature, the new universe.” —Winn Collier
Put on your new nature (v.10).
Scan Genesis 1–2. What picture do you get of the kind of humanity God intended for us? How does Jesus renew this vision?
Where does your humanity need to be renewed in Jesus? Where does the humanity of our world need to be renewed?
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more