Tongues AfireWhen have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?
Top Music Videos
Sunday November 17
thief of time
Maneesh Sethi hired a woman to sit at his computer and watch him as he worked. Armed with a list of his tasks, her job was to slap him if he tried to put off working by checking Facebook or scanning other websites. Later, he employed a tall Swedish man to do the same job—that guy hit a bit harder, according to Maneesh. Oddly, this rather extreme measure worked. Maneesh claims that his “slappers” helped him become 98 percent more productive by preventing procrastination during his workday.
It’s important to be productive in whatever job God has given us. Paul wrote, “Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically” (Romans 12:11). But we should also be diligent in our work for His kingdom. Jesus said, “We must quickly carry out the tasks assigned us by the One who sent us. The night is coming, and then no one can work” (John 9:4).
Someone described procrastination as “the thief of time,” and this seems to fit with the sense of urgency Jesus wanted His followers to adopt. Once, Jesus invited a man to follow Him, saying, “Come, follow Me.” But the man said, “First let me return home and bury my father” (Luke 9:59). Jesus replied, “Your duty is to go and preach about the kingdom of God” (v.60). Then another man said, “I will follow you, but first let me say good-bye to my family” (v.61). Jesus, who sees past our excuses, replied: “Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the kingdom of God” (v.62).
God has called each of us to use our spiritual gifts to serve Him. If He’s tapping you on the shoulder today, asking, “When will you serve Me?” don’t put it off. Let Him know that you’re available—first time. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Yes, Lord, I will follow you, but first let me say good-bye to my family (v.61).
What steps could you take this week to build God’s kingdom? How might God want you to change patterns of procrastination in your life?
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more