Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Sunday November 17
thief of time
Maneesh Sethi hired a woman to sit at his computer and watch him as he worked. Armed with a list of his tasks, her job was to slap him if he tried to put off working by checking Facebook or scanning other websites. Later, he employed a tall Swedish man to do the same job—that guy hit a bit harder, according to Maneesh. Oddly, this rather extreme measure worked. Maneesh claims that his “slappers” helped him become 98 percent more productive by preventing procrastination during his workday.
It’s important to be productive in whatever job God has given us. Paul wrote, “Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically” (Romans 12:11). But we should also be diligent in our work for His kingdom. Jesus said, “We must quickly carry out the tasks assigned us by the One who sent us. The night is coming, and then no one can work” (John 9:4).
Someone described procrastination as “the thief of time,” and this seems to fit with the sense of urgency Jesus wanted His followers to adopt. Once, Jesus invited a man to follow Him, saying, “Come, follow Me.” But the man said, “First let me return home and bury my father” (Luke 9:59). Jesus replied, “Your duty is to go and preach about the kingdom of God” (v.60). Then another man said, “I will follow you, but first let me say good-bye to my family” (v.61). Jesus, who sees past our excuses, replied: “Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the kingdom of God” (v.62).
God has called each of us to use our spiritual gifts to serve Him. If He’s tapping you on the shoulder today, asking, “When will you serve Me?” don’t put it off. Let Him know that you’re available—first time. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Yes, Lord, I will follow you, but first let me say good-bye to my family (v.61).
What steps could you take this week to build God’s kingdom? How might God want you to change patterns of procrastination in your life?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more