Kindness and HospitalityHow are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Friday November 8
idols of affection
In the final scene of the movie, the leading man—eyes brimming with tears—summarized his life to his girlfriend: no friends, no job, and a shady past. He had no family ties, no apparent faith in God. He really had only one thing—the love of his favorite girl, and he vowed lifelong devotion to her. To make her happy, he had refrained from violence, remained monogamous, and had stopped using certain unsavory words. Everything he did and planned to do revolved around the beautiful starlet he’d fallen for.
This scenario shows how relationships can become idols. When God said, “You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind” (Exodus 20:4, emphasis added), He was warning us not to let anything come between us and Him. Sadly, sometimes the pursuit of romance eclipses our love for God.
During Ezekiel’s life, the Israelites struggled with idolatry. God gave His prophet a message for some of His people’s leaders. He said, “[They] have set up idols in their hearts” (Ezekiel 14:3). In God’s eyes, idolatry wasn’t just about creating and bowing down to wooden figures. It was a heart condition—a misdirection of their devotion to Him.
God’s message continued, “They have embraced things that will make them fall into sin” (v.3). Anything that leads us away from God will lead us into sin. If a relationship becomes an idol, however, there’s an added danger. We can be tempted to compromise our purity—a sin against God and ourselves (1 Corinthians 6:18-19).
Our God desires and deserves to be first in our hearts. When we truly grasp His love for us, we’re not as tempted to give the best of ourselves to a significant “other” and hope that God is satisfied with the leftovers. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
[They] have set up idols in their hearts (v.3).
What are some possible consequences of setting up idols in your heart? Why does God deserve to have first place in your life?
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more