Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
Friday November 8
idols of affection
In the final scene of the movie, the leading man—eyes brimming with tears—summarized his life to his girlfriend: no friends, no job, and a shady past. He had no family ties, no apparent faith in God. He really had only one thing—the love of his favorite girl, and he vowed lifelong devotion to her. To make her happy, he had refrained from violence, remained monogamous, and had stopped using certain unsavory words. Everything he did and planned to do revolved around the beautiful starlet he’d fallen for.
This scenario shows how relationships can become idols. When God said, “You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind” (Exodus 20:4, emphasis added), He was warning us not to let anything come between us and Him. Sadly, sometimes the pursuit of romance eclipses our love for God.
During Ezekiel’s life, the Israelites struggled with idolatry. God gave His prophet a message for some of His people’s leaders. He said, “[They] have set up idols in their hearts” (Ezekiel 14:3). In God’s eyes, idolatry wasn’t just about creating and bowing down to wooden figures. It was a heart condition—a misdirection of their devotion to Him.
God’s message continued, “They have embraced things that will make them fall into sin” (v.3). Anything that leads us away from God will lead us into sin. If a relationship becomes an idol, however, there’s an added danger. We can be tempted to compromise our purity—a sin against God and ourselves (1 Corinthians 6:18-19).
Our God desires and deserves to be first in our hearts. When we truly grasp His love for us, we’re not as tempted to give the best of ourselves to a significant “other” and hope that God is satisfied with the leftovers. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
[They] have set up idols in their hearts (v.3).
What are some possible consequences of setting up idols in your heart? Why does God deserve to have first place in your life?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more