Top Christian Music Videos
Friday November 8
idols of affection
In the final scene of the movie, the leading man—eyes brimming with tears—summarized his life to his girlfriend: no friends, no job, and a shady past. He had no family ties, no apparent faith in God. He really had only one thing—the love of his favorite girl, and he vowed lifelong devotion to her. To make her happy, he had refrained from violence, remained monogamous, and had stopped using certain unsavory words. Everything he did and planned to do revolved around the beautiful starlet he’d fallen for.
This scenario shows how relationships can become idols. When God said, “You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind” (Exodus 20:4, emphasis added), He was warning us not to let anything come between us and Him. Sadly, sometimes the pursuit of romance eclipses our love for God.
During Ezekiel’s life, the Israelites struggled with idolatry. God gave His prophet a message for some of His people’s leaders. He said, “[They] have set up idols in their hearts” (Ezekiel 14:3). In God’s eyes, idolatry wasn’t just about creating and bowing down to wooden figures. It was a heart condition—a misdirection of their devotion to Him.
God’s message continued, “They have embraced things that will make them fall into sin” (v.3). Anything that leads us away from God will lead us into sin. If a relationship becomes an idol, however, there’s an added danger. We can be tempted to compromise our purity—a sin against God and ourselves (1 Corinthians 6:18-19).
Our God desires and deserves to be first in our hearts. When we truly grasp His love for us, we’re not as tempted to give the best of ourselves to a significant “other” and hope that God is satisfied with the leftovers. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
[They] have set up idols in their hearts (v.3).
What are some possible consequences of setting up idols in your heart? Why does God deserve to have first place in your life?
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more
- How Much God Loves You - What prevents you from accepting God’s love?...read more
- A Better Song - Read Romans 8:14 to see what it means to be led by “the Spirit of God.”...read more