After 35What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?
Top Music Videos
Tuesday September 17
here comes . . .
I was driving my family to a relative’s home when I was pulled over for speeding. I had been driving faster than the suspiciously low speed limit, so there wasn’t much I could say. But when I learned that my insurance rate would skyrocket due to the ticket, I contacted the village prosecutor and asked for a compromise. He agreed, and soon a court document arrived in the mail. It began, “Here comes Mr. Wallace, prosecutor for Oakville,” and explained that he would charge me with a lesser offense.
I laughed at the oddly informal opening line, “Here comes.” It seemed out of place in a legal document. But the more I think about it, the more it seems right. I was caught in a legal fix. There wasn’t anything I could do except pay the fine and warn my friends to avoid the speed trap that got me. But then the prosecutor came to my aid and found a way to honor the law without causing me ongoing financial woes.
This is roughly parallel to my relationship with God. I had recklessly blown past all His warning signs when He graciously stopped me in my tracks. I was in a legal jam, cursed along with “everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law” (Galatians 3:10). But here came Jesus, the willing substitute who “took upon Himself the curse for our wrongdoing” (v.13).
Unlike the prosecutor, who only partially came to my defense, Jesus’ sacrifice is complete. Justice was entirely served upon Him so that I could go free—not to sin again, but to celebrate my new life as His son. And since I am His son, here comes His Spirit too! (4:5-6).
Yes, here came Jesus, taking our sin and giving us life. —Mike Wittmer
When the right time came, God sent His Son, born of a woman, subject to the law (4:4).
Read Ephesians 2:1-10 to see the difference Jesus makes when He comes into our lives.
How would your life be different if Jesus hadn’t come? Why not take a moment and tell Him?
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more
- What a Friend! - What does it mean to you to have a friend in Jesus?...read more