WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
Tuesday September 17
here comes . . .
I was driving my family to a relative’s home when I was pulled over for speeding. I had been driving faster than the suspiciously low speed limit, so there wasn’t much I could say. But when I learned that my insurance rate would skyrocket due to the ticket, I contacted the village prosecutor and asked for a compromise. He agreed, and soon a court document arrived in the mail. It began, “Here comes Mr. Wallace, prosecutor for Oakville,” and explained that he would charge me with a lesser offense.
I laughed at the oddly informal opening line, “Here comes.” It seemed out of place in a legal document. But the more I think about it, the more it seems right. I was caught in a legal fix. There wasn’t anything I could do except pay the fine and warn my friends to avoid the speed trap that got me. But then the prosecutor came to my aid and found a way to honor the law without causing me ongoing financial woes.
This is roughly parallel to my relationship with God. I had recklessly blown past all His warning signs when He graciously stopped me in my tracks. I was in a legal jam, cursed along with “everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law” (Galatians 3:10). But here came Jesus, the willing substitute who “took upon Himself the curse for our wrongdoing” (v.13).
Unlike the prosecutor, who only partially came to my defense, Jesus’ sacrifice is complete. Justice was entirely served upon Him so that I could go free—not to sin again, but to celebrate my new life as His son. And since I am His son, here comes His Spirit too! (4:5-6).
Yes, here came Jesus, taking our sin and giving us life. —Mike Wittmer
When the right time came, God sent His Son, born of a woman, subject to the law (4:4).
Read Ephesians 2:1-10 to see the difference Jesus makes when He comes into our lives.
How would your life be different if Jesus hadn’t come? Why not take a moment and tell Him?
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more