Autograph of the OrdinaryDo you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?
Top Christian Music Videos
Tuesday September 17
here comes . . .
I was driving my family to a relative’s home when I was pulled over for speeding. I had been driving faster than the suspiciously low speed limit, so there wasn’t much I could say. But when I learned that my insurance rate would skyrocket due to the ticket, I contacted the village prosecutor and asked for a compromise. He agreed, and soon a court document arrived in the mail. It began, “Here comes Mr. Wallace, prosecutor for Oakville,” and explained that he would charge me with a lesser offense.
I laughed at the oddly informal opening line, “Here comes.” It seemed out of place in a legal document. But the more I think about it, the more it seems right. I was caught in a legal fix. There wasn’t anything I could do except pay the fine and warn my friends to avoid the speed trap that got me. But then the prosecutor came to my aid and found a way to honor the law without causing me ongoing financial woes.
This is roughly parallel to my relationship with God. I had recklessly blown past all His warning signs when He graciously stopped me in my tracks. I was in a legal jam, cursed along with “everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law” (Galatians 3:10). But here came Jesus, the willing substitute who “took upon Himself the curse for our wrongdoing” (v.13).
Unlike the prosecutor, who only partially came to my defense, Jesus’ sacrifice is complete. Justice was entirely served upon Him so that I could go free—not to sin again, but to celebrate my new life as His son. And since I am His son, here comes His Spirit too! (4:5-6).
Yes, here came Jesus, taking our sin and giving us life. —Mike Wittmer
When the right time came, God sent His Son, born of a woman, subject to the law (4:4).
Read Ephesians 2:1-10 to see the difference Jesus makes when He comes into our lives.
How would your life be different if Jesus hadn’t come? Why not take a moment and tell Him?
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more