DistractionWhat’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?
Top Christian Music Videos
Wednesday February 12
John started his new job. When he got his first check at the end of the month, he wanted to celebrate by buying my lunch for me. During our meal, he told me that his first paycheck was his “firstfruits.” With a grateful heart, he wanted to give a significant portion of it back to God.
Moses repeatedly reminded the Jews that God was their Deliverer, the Giver of their land, and the Provider of their material blessings (Deuteronomy 26:1,3,7-10). As God blessed them materially, they were reminded to do four things:
First, they were to return to God “some of the first produce from each crop [they harvested]” (v.2). This gift was their personal act of thanksgiving, acknowledging that God was their Provider (vv.3-4). It was also their public act of worship, as they placed the offering on the altar (v.4), “[bowing] to the ground in worship before Him” (v.10).
Second, they were to tell the story of their redemption. They were nobodies, nomads, and slaves. But God made them into a great nation and gave them a land to call their own, a land of plenty (vv.5-9).
Third, they were to celebrate, rejoice, and enjoy the good things God had given to them (v.11). God wanted them to enjoy it all: “Rejoice . . . because the LORD your God has blessed you” (12:7).
Finally, they were to be generous and share their material blessings with the poor (26:12-13). Knowing their selfish hearts (15:11), Moses reminded them to “remember to include the Levites and the foreigners living among you in the celebration” (26:11).
God has given us plenty of things to enjoy, and to share. We also have a story of redemption to tell—proclaiming who our God is, how great and good, gracious and generous He is. —K.T. Sim
And now, O LORD, I have brought you the first portion of the harvest you have given me from the ground (v.10)
Read Deuteronomy 16:10-12 and find out what it means for you to celebrate the Festival of Harvest.
How do you honor God with the firstfruits of your harvest today? What does it mean for you to bring your best to God?
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more
- How Much God Loves You - What prevents you from accepting God’s love?...read more