A Little FartherDo you hear much about lament in your local church?
Top Christian Music Videos
This is the case of a man who is all alone . . . who works hard to gain as much wealth as he can (v.8).
Sorting through some old papers, I found a yellowed pay-stub that showed I had worked 100 hours in the span of 7 days. It’s crazy—I know, since there are only 168 hours in a week. As I fingered the faded document, I tried to recall the project that had required so much of my time many years ago. I looked at the date, but I still couldn’t remember what had been so important at the office.
If I had continued that kind of overtime for the length of my corporate career, I might have ended up like the guy Solomon described—the one who was “all alone, without a child or a brother, yet who work[ed] hard to gain as much wealth as he [could]” (Ecclesiastes 4:8). Although overworking sometimes produces great wealth, Solomon warned that it is “meaningless to think that wealth brings true happiness” (5:10).
True success in life includes serving God, befriending others, and preserving lasting relationships. When work crowds out these aspects of life, we need to “be wise enough to know when to quit” (Proverbs 23:4). Quitting doesn’t necessarily mean leaving a job altogether; it may mean clocking out earlier each day in favor of family time, refusing to obsess over job tasks, or taking time off to go on a missions trip.
So, if your BlackBerry chirps during church, and your iPad chimes all through dinner, ask God to help you manage your work life. Ask for the courage to push away from the desk for needed rest (Mark 6:31), and for the wisdom (James 1:5) to know how to work hard without becoming enslaved to an occupation.
If you don’t, you might just wake up one day and wonder, “Who am I working for? And why am I giving up so much pleasure right now?” (Ecclesiastes 4:8).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Why is overworking sometimes viewed (wrongly) as a good thing? Why is it difficult to conquer an addiction to work?
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more