LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
John Mark, a young man, had joined Paul and Barnabas in their first missionary journey (Acts 13:4-5). For some unspecified reason(s), he abandoned the missions trip (v.13). Perhaps he was homesick. Perhaps he couldn't take the tough life of the mission field. Paul was ticked because of John Mark's lack of commitment and because he abandoned the mission.
Three years after his first missionary journey, Paul wanted to revisit the same cities to encourage the new believers there (15:35-36). Barnabas wanted to bring John Mark along for this second missionary trip. Paul strongly disagreed. He felt that the young man had proven himself unreliable (vv.37-38). To Paul, the mission was important. Paul was right in not taking Mark. To Barnabas, the man was important. Barnabas was right in wanting to take him. Entrenched in their convictions, "their disagreement was so sharp that they separated" (v.39).
John Mark had failed before. But Barnabas believed that Mark deserved a second chance. Barnabas saw the value and potential in his young cousin who had been rejected as a failure (Colossians 4:10). Barnabas saw beyond John Mark's failure to restoration and a future usefulness and effectiveness.
Given a second chance, John Mark made it good. Later, Paul acknowledged (perhaps almost apologetically) that John Mark was a great help to him in the ministry (2 Timothy 4:11). This young reject went on to write the book that bears his name, the Gospel of Mark.
Can you remember a time when you failed, and a Barnabas came alongside, believing in you and restoring you to wholeness and usefulness? It's your turn. There are John Marks all around you who are crying out for a second chance. Will you be a Barnabas to them? , K.T. Sim, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more