Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
One of the tremendous privileges I've had as a believer in Jesus was serving as an official chaplain for athletes competing in the Olympic Games. Ministering inside the Olympic Village was exciting, but it presented unique challenges. Many times I struggled to find the right words to say as I sat with medal contenders who, away from the glare of spectators and cameras, broke down in tears following disappointing performances.
Losing is difficult. No one wants to experience defeat, especially when we've made great sacrifices and exerted strenuous effort to excel. Ultimately, however, we can respond to loss by seeking God's wisdom and courage to proceed in a manner that brings Him glory. The bitter alternative is to blame God and go our own separate way. (Personally, I've responded both ways on different occasions and can attest, the latter is a miserable way to go.)
In 2 Chronicles 14â€“17, there's a gripping tale of a father and son, King Asa and King Jehoshaphat, and their respective walks with God. The father, Asa, had run a remarkable race for the Lord until the final 2 years of his 41-year-reign. Sadly, within sight of the finish line, Asa's faith faltered. At that point, even when he developed a serious foot disease, the king who had once walked with God "did not seek the Lord's help" (16:12).
King Jehoshaphat chose not to repeat his father's grievous mistakes. Instead, Jehoshaphat was "deeply committed to the ways of the Lord" all the days of his life (17:6). And "the Lord was with Jehoshaphat because he followed the example of his father's early years" (v.3).
How about you? Will you let losses prompt you to turn your back on God, or will you choose to seek Him even in your disappointment? , Roxanne Robbins
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more