Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
Bold As A Lion
This is My command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or
discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go (v.9)
William Seeker, a 17th-century clergyman, is
quoted as saying, “Another singular action of
a sanctified Christian is to prefer the duty he
owes God to the danger he fears from man. Christians
in all ages have prized their services above their safety.
‘The wicked flee when no man [is pursuing]; but the
righteous are bold as a lion.’ ”
After Moses’ death, God prepared Joshua to be as
bold as a lion so he could lead the Israelites across the
Jordan River and into the promised land of Canaan
(Joshua 1:1-9). God knew many risks, difficulties, and
oppositions (within and without) lay ahead of His chosen
leader and His chosen people. So Joshua would need to
act bravely during the difficult days and to do dangerous
things out of obedience to God.
In a span of several verses, God used powerful words
to build courage into Joshua’s heart: “Wherever you set
foot, you will be on land I have given you” (v.3); “No
one will be able to stand against you” (v.5); “I will be
with you . . . I will not fail you or abandon you” (v.5);
“Be strong and courageous” (v.6); “The Lord your God is
with you wherever you go” (v.9).
What was Joshua’s response to God’s promise of His
abiding presence and blessing? He chose to follow
diligently God’s words and to believe that He would
strengthen, guard, and protect him (vv.10-11).
As believers in Jesus, we’re called to do things that can be difficult (talking to
our neighbors about Jesus), risky (ministering to the marginalized), and
even potentially dangerous (taking the gospel to unreached people groups)
out of obedience to God. As God promised Joshua, He has promised to be
with us (Hebrews 13:5). Let’s boldly obey His Word and declare His truth.
Just as He did with
Joshua, God gave
encouraging words to
King Jehoshaphat. Read
2 Chronicles 20:15.
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more