Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
Bold As A Lion
This is My command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or
discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go (v.9)
William Seeker, a 17th-century clergyman, is
quoted as saying, “Another singular action of
a sanctified Christian is to prefer the duty he
owes God to the danger he fears from man. Christians
in all ages have prized their services above their safety.
‘The wicked flee when no man [is pursuing]; but the
righteous are bold as a lion.’ ”
After Moses’ death, God prepared Joshua to be as
bold as a lion so he could lead the Israelites across the
Jordan River and into the promised land of Canaan
(Joshua 1:1-9). God knew many risks, difficulties, and
oppositions (within and without) lay ahead of His chosen
leader and His chosen people. So Joshua would need to
act bravely during the difficult days and to do dangerous
things out of obedience to God.
In a span of several verses, God used powerful words
to build courage into Joshua’s heart: “Wherever you set
foot, you will be on land I have given you” (v.3); “No
one will be able to stand against you” (v.5); “I will be
with you . . . I will not fail you or abandon you” (v.5);
“Be strong and courageous” (v.6); “The Lord your God is
with you wherever you go” (v.9).
What was Joshua’s response to God’s promise of His
abiding presence and blessing? He chose to follow
diligently God’s words and to believe that He would
strengthen, guard, and protect him (vv.10-11).
As believers in Jesus, we’re called to do things that can be difficult (talking to
our neighbors about Jesus), risky (ministering to the marginalized), and
even potentially dangerous (taking the gospel to unreached people groups)
out of obedience to God. As God promised Joshua, He has promised to be
with us (Hebrews 13:5). Let’s boldly obey His Word and declare His truth.
Just as He did with
Joshua, God gave
encouraging words to
King Jehoshaphat. Read
2 Chronicles 20:15.
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more