Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
Last January, as Haiti reeled from a crushing earthquake, one tragic account told of a mother who had three daughters between the ages of four and nine. She had been cooking for her girls when the earthquake hit. Severely injured, the mom could not move or care for her children. When help arrived, the young girls had gone two days without food or water. The mom was convinced that her daughters would not survive. A reporter accompanying the relief workers asked, "When do you think this will end?" "When God arrives," the mother answered. Eventually, we humans find ourselves facing trouble beyond our expertise to fix.
Inevitably, high hopes of what we can accomplish and what we can make of our world always come crashing down. Judah repeatedly came to this point. During one calamitous cycle, under Babylon's rule and on the brink of national ruin, the prophet Isaiah prayed for his people. His heart, he said, "[could] not keep still" (Isaiah 62:1). Just as the Haitian images moved us to both sorrow and action, the devastation around Isaiah compelled him to pray for God's mercy. His prayer continued, "I will not stop praying for [Judah], until her righteousness shines like the dawn" (v.1).
Isaiah's hope for a new dawn was more than a naÃ¯ve whim. He believed in God's promise of redemption for His people (and ultimately for all of God's people). Isaiah proclaimed God's intentions that the people of Judah, currently wallowing in ruin, would discover that calamity was not their end. "The Lord will hold you in His hand for all to see, a splendid crown in the hand of God" (v.3).
Isaiah pointed to a day when God would appear and make the world right again. Our sorrows will not completely end until He arrives. , Winn Collier
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more