Finding RefugeWhat does it mean for God to be your true refuge?
Top Christian Music Videos
Should people cheat God? Yet you have cheated Me! But you
ask, “What do you mean? When did we ever cheat you?” You
have cheated Me of the tithes and offerings due to Me (vv.8-9).
Business professor Richard Quinn was disgusted.
By careful analysis, he discovered that many of
his students had cheated on their midterm exam.
So he did what professors do best—he gave the students
a lecture . . . on ethics. His message? Confess that you
have cheated, and then the remainder of your classwork
will determine your grade. You’ll also need to take a
4-hour course in ethics. There will be no permanent
record of your cheating. More than 200 students
admitted they had cheated.
God called for the people of Judah to come clean.
He condemned them for cheating Him (Malachi 3:8-9).
The people, having returned from exile in Babylon, were
apathetic in their worship of God and unfaithful in their
relationship with Him. So He made it plain that their
sinning would result in some serious refining (v.2).
The feeble tithes and offerings they were tossing
God’s way reflected their hard hearts (vv.8-9). They
knew that a tenth of the crops they cultivated were to be
presented to God (Deuteronomy 12:6,11,17). But neither
the quantity nor the quality of their tithes and offerings
(material stuff like clothing, building materials, gold,
silver, gems) was up to snuff. Instead of the cream of the
crop, they were giving the bottom-of-the-barrel dregs.
You can almost hear the people of Judah respond out of
self-pity, Yo, God, we’ve been through some tough times
lately. Cut us some slack, huh? Perhaps you and I have responded the same way—
allowing tough times to cause us to offer God second-rate worship and offerings.
God, in His grace, told His people that He would “open the windows of
heaven” and richly bless them if they would “return” (repent and renew their
true worship) to Him (Malachi 3:7,10). And He will do the same for you and
me. No ethics class required.
Read Galatians 6:7. Consider what you’re planting in your
relationship with God and what the coming harvest might look like.
How have you been cheating God? What will you do to “return”
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more