What's ImportantHow has God been training you lately?
Top Christian Music Videos
Should people cheat God? Yet you have cheated Me! But you
ask, “What do you mean? When did we ever cheat you?” You
have cheated Me of the tithes and offerings due to Me (vv.8-9).
Business professor Richard Quinn was disgusted.
By careful analysis, he discovered that many of
his students had cheated on their midterm exam.
So he did what professors do best—he gave the students
a lecture . . . on ethics. His message? Confess that you
have cheated, and then the remainder of your classwork
will determine your grade. You’ll also need to take a
4-hour course in ethics. There will be no permanent
record of your cheating. More than 200 students
admitted they had cheated.
God called for the people of Judah to come clean.
He condemned them for cheating Him (Malachi 3:8-9).
The people, having returned from exile in Babylon, were
apathetic in their worship of God and unfaithful in their
relationship with Him. So He made it plain that their
sinning would result in some serious refining (v.2).
The feeble tithes and offerings they were tossing
God’s way reflected their hard hearts (vv.8-9). They
knew that a tenth of the crops they cultivated were to be
presented to God (Deuteronomy 12:6,11,17). But neither
the quantity nor the quality of their tithes and offerings
(material stuff like clothing, building materials, gold,
silver, gems) was up to snuff. Instead of the cream of the
crop, they were giving the bottom-of-the-barrel dregs.
You can almost hear the people of Judah respond out of
self-pity, Yo, God, we’ve been through some tough times
lately. Cut us some slack, huh? Perhaps you and I have responded the same way—
allowing tough times to cause us to offer God second-rate worship and offerings.
God, in His grace, told His people that He would “open the windows of
heaven” and richly bless them if they would “return” (repent and renew their
true worship) to Him (Malachi 3:7,10). And He will do the same for you and
me. No ethics class required.
Read Galatians 6:7. Consider what you’re planting in your
relationship with God and what the coming harvest might look like.
How have you been cheating God? What will you do to “return”
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more