MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
David was caught in a living nightmare. Once again, Saul was hot on his heels. The king had taken 3,000 of Israel's elite troops and was hunting David down in the wilderness of Ziph. The events in 1 Samuel 26 have a sense of dÃ©jÃ vu about them, they're remarkably similar to what took place in chapter 24.
In the first encounter, David was retreating as Saul was advancing. But in chapter 26, Saul's soldiers are camped out and David is on the offensive. His scouts located Saul's camp and David, accompanied by at least two men, goes to check it out. What's he up to? we wonder. Surely, he won't attempt to assassinate Saul, for he was conscience-stricken when he previously cut off a portion of Saul's robe (24:5).
David had come for Saul's spear and water container, and that was all. He commanded Abishai not to kill Saul for basically the same reason (v.9) he verbalized in 24:6,11. But David went beyond what he had said before, assuring Abishai, "Surely the Lord will strike Saul down someday, or he will die of old age or in battle" (26:10). After his experience with Nabal and Abigail (ch.25), David knew that God could accomplish His will in any number of ways.
It's important to note that David didn't simply know that God defends His own. He believed it. His whole plan hung on it. He staked his life on it. We see from his example that faith and action go hand-in-hand. His plan was totally dependent on God for success. In 1 Samuel 26, David dealt with a similar situation with greater confidence and wisdom than in chapter 24. Can that be said of us? How are we living out the wisdom He has taught us through previous life experiences? , Poh Fang Chia
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more