Love in ActionHow can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?
Top Christian Music Videos
Beaten, But Not Defeated
It is God’s will that your honorable lives should silence those ignorant people who make foolish accusations against you (v.15).
Police checkpoints dot the roads throughout Uganda, making random motorist inspections unavoidable. Usually the officers are ensuring that drivers have insurance and valid driving permits. In some cases, however, the police bring false charges against motorists to get bribes in return for letting them go.
Like most westerners living in Uganda, I’ve been stopped by the police a number of times. Once I was accused of spying for another country because a passenger in my car took a picture as we drove across the Nile River. Another time, a man fabricated a story and convinced police that I had caused a motorcycle accident that resulted in the amputation of his leg. I had to hire a Ugandan lawyer, who ultimately proved that I was not involved in the alleged accident. Later, we found out that the man had both his legs!
I find it frightening and unsettling to fall victim to abuses of power. What I’ve been through, however, pales significantly with what the apostle Paul endured as he traveled to foreign lands. Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 2:5 and 2 Corinthians 11:24 that during his missionary journeys he was beaten with rods; shipwrecked; stoned; lost at sea; imprisoned; endangered by robbers, raging rivers, angry citizens, officials, and—worst of all—by men who claimed to be believers but were not.
Through it all, Paul’s contentment in the Lord increased as he learned “the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little” (Philippians 4:12).
If you find it difficult, as I do, to react honorably when you are mistreated, then ask God to help you. “For the Lord’s sake, respect all human authority” (1 Peter 1:13). By doing so, your witness for Jesus will be magnified and He will be glorified.
Read 1 Peter 1:20. Consider why God is pleased with you when you do what is right and patiently endure unfair treatment.
How can you help those who are being mistreated for the cause of Christ? What do you find in God’s Word that helps you not to be defeated by your circumstances?
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more