Prayerful RetreatHow often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Beaten, But Not Defeated
It is God’s will that your honorable lives should silence those ignorant people who make foolish accusations against you (v.15).
Police checkpoints dot the roads throughout Uganda, making random motorist inspections unavoidable. Usually the officers are ensuring that drivers have insurance and valid driving permits. In some cases, however, the police bring false charges against motorists to get bribes in return for letting them go.
Like most westerners living in Uganda, I’ve been stopped by the police a number of times. Once I was accused of spying for another country because a passenger in my car took a picture as we drove across the Nile River. Another time, a man fabricated a story and convinced police that I had caused a motorcycle accident that resulted in the amputation of his leg. I had to hire a Ugandan lawyer, who ultimately proved that I was not involved in the alleged accident. Later, we found out that the man had both his legs!
I find it frightening and unsettling to fall victim to abuses of power. What I’ve been through, however, pales significantly with what the apostle Paul endured as he traveled to foreign lands. Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 2:5 and 2 Corinthians 11:24 that during his missionary journeys he was beaten with rods; shipwrecked; stoned; lost at sea; imprisoned; endangered by robbers, raging rivers, angry citizens, officials, and—worst of all—by men who claimed to be believers but were not.
Through it all, Paul’s contentment in the Lord increased as he learned “the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little” (Philippians 4:12).
If you find it difficult, as I do, to react honorably when you are mistreated, then ask God to help you. “For the Lord’s sake, respect all human authority” (1 Peter 1:13). By doing so, your witness for Jesus will be magnified and He will be glorified.
Read 1 Peter 1:20. Consider why God is pleased with you when you do what is right and patiently endure unfair treatment.
How can you help those who are being mistreated for the cause of Christ? What do you find in God’s Word that helps you not to be defeated by your circumstances?
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more