Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
Let’s not allow this conflict to come between us (v.8).
A 60-year-old man, atop a John Deere tractor, charged at his 69-year-old brother-in-law who was harvesting hay astride his own tractor. The collision resulted in a damaged tire and the tractor-crasher’s arrest. One law-enforcement official commented, “We’ve responded on prior occasions to calls because of differences between the families.” While it’s a bit unclear what the man hoped to accomplish by confronting and crunching his brother-in-law, the story shows that family feuds can escalate to ridiculous levels if they’re not resolved.
Abram and his nephew Lot needed to settle a family issue regarding farmland because the area where they lived “could not support both [of them]” (Genesis 13:6). Scuffles broke out between their herdsmen. “Finally, Abram said to Lot, ‘Let’s not allow this conflict to come between us’ ” (v.8). Abram bravely took the first step toward peace, noting the need for harmony since they were “close relatives.”
Humbly, Abram said to Lot, “Take your choice of any section of the land you want, and we will separate” (v.9). This offer showed that family relationships were more important to Abram than satisfying his self-interest. Imagine what might have happened if he had left Lot in a cloud of dust, yelling over his shoulder: Get lost, kid. I’m your elder, and I’ve got dibs on the prime real estate around here! Instead, Abram kept his word and allowed Lot to settle in the lush Jordan Valley, while he set up camp in Canaan (vv.11-12).
Abram’s actions show how humility, generosity, and selflessness can help us navigate through rough spots with our relatives. Jesus said: “God blesses those who work for peace, for they will be called the children of God” (Matthew 5:9).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Why is it sometimes difficult to make peace with family members? How might a Christian seek peace without becoming a pushover?
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more