Top Christian Music Videos
Let’s not allow this conflict to come between us (v.8).
A 60-year-old man, atop a John Deere tractor, charged at his 69-year-old brother-in-law who was harvesting hay astride his own tractor. The collision resulted in a damaged tire and the tractor-crasher’s arrest. One law-enforcement official commented, “We’ve responded on prior occasions to calls because of differences between the families.” While it’s a bit unclear what the man hoped to accomplish by confronting and crunching his brother-in-law, the story shows that family feuds can escalate to ridiculous levels if they’re not resolved.
Abram and his nephew Lot needed to settle a family issue regarding farmland because the area where they lived “could not support both [of them]” (Genesis 13:6). Scuffles broke out between their herdsmen. “Finally, Abram said to Lot, ‘Let’s not allow this conflict to come between us’ ” (v.8). Abram bravely took the first step toward peace, noting the need for harmony since they were “close relatives.”
Humbly, Abram said to Lot, “Take your choice of any section of the land you want, and we will separate” (v.9). This offer showed that family relationships were more important to Abram than satisfying his self-interest. Imagine what might have happened if he had left Lot in a cloud of dust, yelling over his shoulder: Get lost, kid. I’m your elder, and I’ve got dibs on the prime real estate around here! Instead, Abram kept his word and allowed Lot to settle in the lush Jordan Valley, while he set up camp in Canaan (vv.11-12).
Abram’s actions show how humility, generosity, and selflessness can help us navigate through rough spots with our relatives. Jesus said: “God blesses those who work for peace, for they will be called the children of God” (Matthew 5:9).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Why is it sometimes difficult to make peace with family members? How might a Christian seek peace without becoming a pushover?
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more
- How Much God Loves You - What prevents you from accepting God’s love?...read more
- A Better Song - Read Romans 8:14 to see what it means to be led by “the Spirit of God.”...read more