Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
The 2007 film Into the Wild tells the true story of Chris McCandless. Upon graduating from college in the early 1990s, McCandless had become disillusioned with his conventional life. Without saying a word to his family, he sold all his belongings, disappeared into the back country of the western United States, and eventually ventured deep into the Alaskan wilderness, alone.
McCandless underestimated the rigors of the Alaskan wilderness and was found dead months later. Before his tragic death, he appeared to have a change of heart regarding his decision to live alone. These were his final words scrawled in his journal: "Happiness only real when shared."
Being a loner is not what it's cracked up to be. It was one of the first experiences God spotted as unhealthy, "Then the Lord God said, â€˜It is not good for the man to be alone'" (Genesis 2:18).
God wired us with a dual need for companionship with Himself and with other human beings. Sustaining healthy relationships with family and friends is a central part of being created in the image of a Triune God who enjoys a level of togetherness that's beyond our comprehension. We can't escape how our Creator made us. The truth is, there can be no real joy in life outside of relationships.
The early church had this down. The book of Acts states, "They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord's Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity" (Acts 2:46).
God meant for us to share life with others. As Paul wrote, relationships were a source of great joy to him (2 Timothy 1:4). The only thing worse than dying alone is living alone. Share your life with others. , Jeff Olson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more