Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
Leviticus 1:1 God’s will was for us to be made holy by the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all time (Hebrews 10:10).
An attempt by climbers in 1936 to scale the north face of the Eiger is depicted in the film North Face. Two German mountain climbers, Toni Kurz and Andi Hinterstoisser, battle the elements and other challenges during their ill-fated attempt to be the first team to reach the summit. In one powerful scene, Andi must cut his own rope and fall to his death in order to spare Toni’s life. Tragically, just a short time later Toni succumbs to the freezing conditions.
Andi’s sacrifice to save his friend was exemplary. But, sadly, Toni still died. Jesus’ sacrifice for us, however, allows us to be set free from guilt and spiritual death forever (Hebrews 10:10). He alone could do what countless sacrifices of the past could not.
In Leviticus 1, one of several sacrifices that God required under the old covenant is presented. The burnt offering (v.3) was an offering of atonement to cleanse and restore worshipers from the guilt of their sin. It’s interesting, however, that this required sacrifice actually reminded God’s people of their ongoing struggle with sin.
The people were required to sacrifice a male animal with no defects (vv.3,10). But these imperfect “perfect” sacrifices needed to be done year after year. God would accept the death of the animals as a means of purifying His sinning people (v.4). But later, their sin would lead them back to the altar once again.
When Jesus died on the cross, He was the only one who could provide atonement for our sins—for He was truly perfect. And “by that one offering He forever made perfect those who are being made holy” (Hebrews 10:14).
If you’ve received Jesus as your Savior, you’re no longer under the curse of sin and death. Because of Jesus’ perfect “forever” sacrifice, your guilt has been replaced by God’s grace.
Read Hebrews 9:11 for a greater understanding of why Jesus needed to go to the cross and what He accomplished there.
If you’ve been saved by Jesus’ sacrifice, why is it important that you don’t continue to feel guilty for sins He’s forgiven? What does Jesus’ death on the cross mean to you?
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more