Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
Give your burdens to the Lord, and He will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall (v.22).
I’m sure you’ve heard your share of extreme weight-loss plans. But ingesting a parasite? The UK’s Telegraph reports that some people in Hong Kong have resorted to using parasitic worms to peel off the pounds. The worms allow people to keep eating what they want and still shed weight. But the giant intestinal roundworms, which can grow up to 15 inches in length, lay up to 200,000 eggs a day. They can also cause abdominal pain, flulike symptoms, and even death. Yep, this is one dangerous way to try and win the battle of the bulge!
The idea of literally being devoured from within reminds me of what David experienced when he wrote that he was being “overwhelmed by . . . troubles” (Psalms 55:2). The source of his pain was someone from his inner circle—a close friend (vv.12-13). As David faced the bitterness of his betrayal, he experienced physical effects: a pounding heart, trembling, and shaking (vv.4-5). His mind was racing as he dealt with feeling “overwhelmed” and consumed by “terror” (vv.2,4). David was being gobbled up from the inside out.
I’m sure you can relate to his sinking feelings and physical symptoms. When we’re facing hardships in life, often we try to simply keep it all inside and present a calm facade to the world. But God has a different plan for our burdens: calling and casting. He inspired David to write, “I will call on God, and the Lord will rescue me” (v.16). As we pray to God, David tells us to “cast [our] cares on the Lord and He will sustain [us]” (v.22 NIV).
What burden is weighing heavy on you today? What’s devouring you from the inside out? Follow David’s inspired words: Call out to God and cast your burdens on Him. He won’t allow you to “slip and fall” (v.22). —Tom Felten
Read Luke 22:39 and note Jesus’ inner agony and its physical effects. Notice how He was comforted amid His calling and casting.
How have your burdens been affecting you? Why is it so important to call and cast them instead of internalizing them?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more