Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Give your burdens to the Lord, and He will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall (v.22).
I’m sure you’ve heard your share of extreme weight-loss plans. But ingesting a parasite? The UK’s Telegraph reports that some people in Hong Kong have resorted to using parasitic worms to peel off the pounds. The worms allow people to keep eating what they want and still shed weight. But the giant intestinal roundworms, which can grow up to 15 inches in length, lay up to 200,000 eggs a day. They can also cause abdominal pain, flulike symptoms, and even death. Yep, this is one dangerous way to try and win the battle of the bulge!
The idea of literally being devoured from within reminds me of what David experienced when he wrote that he was being “overwhelmed by . . . troubles” (Psalms 55:2). The source of his pain was someone from his inner circle—a close friend (vv.12-13). As David faced the bitterness of his betrayal, he experienced physical effects: a pounding heart, trembling, and shaking (vv.4-5). His mind was racing as he dealt with feeling “overwhelmed” and consumed by “terror” (vv.2,4). David was being gobbled up from the inside out.
I’m sure you can relate to his sinking feelings and physical symptoms. When we’re facing hardships in life, often we try to simply keep it all inside and present a calm facade to the world. But God has a different plan for our burdens: calling and casting. He inspired David to write, “I will call on God, and the Lord will rescue me” (v.16). As we pray to God, David tells us to “cast [our] cares on the Lord and He will sustain [us]” (v.22 NIV).
What burden is weighing heavy on you today? What’s devouring you from the inside out? Follow David’s inspired words: Call out to God and cast your burdens on Him. He won’t allow you to “slip and fall” (v.22). —Tom Felten
Read Luke 22:39 and note Jesus’ inner agony and its physical effects. Notice how He was comforted amid His calling and casting.
How have your burdens been affecting you? Why is it so important to call and cast them instead of internalizing them?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more