Top Music Videos
Give your burdens to the Lord, and He will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall (v.22).
I’m sure you’ve heard your share of extreme weight-loss plans. But ingesting a parasite? The UK’s Telegraph reports that some people in Hong Kong have resorted to using parasitic worms to peel off the pounds. The worms allow people to keep eating what they want and still shed weight. But the giant intestinal roundworms, which can grow up to 15 inches in length, lay up to 200,000 eggs a day. They can also cause abdominal pain, flulike symptoms, and even death. Yep, this is one dangerous way to try and win the battle of the bulge!
The idea of literally being devoured from within reminds me of what David experienced when he wrote that he was being “overwhelmed by . . . troubles” (Psalms 55:2). The source of his pain was someone from his inner circle—a close friend (vv.12-13). As David faced the bitterness of his betrayal, he experienced physical effects: a pounding heart, trembling, and shaking (vv.4-5). His mind was racing as he dealt with feeling “overwhelmed” and consumed by “terror” (vv.2,4). David was being gobbled up from the inside out.
I’m sure you can relate to his sinking feelings and physical symptoms. When we’re facing hardships in life, often we try to simply keep it all inside and present a calm facade to the world. But God has a different plan for our burdens: calling and casting. He inspired David to write, “I will call on God, and the Lord will rescue me” (v.16). As we pray to God, David tells us to “cast [our] cares on the Lord and He will sustain [us]” (v.22 NIV).
What burden is weighing heavy on you today? What’s devouring you from the inside out? Follow David’s inspired words: Call out to God and cast your burdens on Him. He won’t allow you to “slip and fall” (v.22). —Tom Felten
Read Luke 22:39 and note Jesus’ inner agony and its physical effects. Notice how He was comforted amid His calling and casting.
How have your burdens been affecting you? Why is it so important to call and cast them instead of internalizing them?
- God Dwells with Us - What does it mean to you that the Bible so often reveals God’s desire to dwell with us?...read more
- What We Value - How often do you read the Bible?...read more
- The Job Paradox - When have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?...read more
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more