Right and Wrong WordsIs your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?
Top Christian Music Videos
Give your burdens to the Lord, and He will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall (v.22).
I’m sure you’ve heard your share of extreme weight-loss plans. But ingesting a parasite? The UK’s Telegraph reports that some people in Hong Kong have resorted to using parasitic worms to peel off the pounds. The worms allow people to keep eating what they want and still shed weight. But the giant intestinal roundworms, which can grow up to 15 inches in length, lay up to 200,000 eggs a day. They can also cause abdominal pain, flulike symptoms, and even death. Yep, this is one dangerous way to try and win the battle of the bulge!
The idea of literally being devoured from within reminds me of what David experienced when he wrote that he was being “overwhelmed by . . . troubles” (Psalms 55:2). The source of his pain was someone from his inner circle—a close friend (vv.12-13). As David faced the bitterness of his betrayal, he experienced physical effects: a pounding heart, trembling, and shaking (vv.4-5). His mind was racing as he dealt with feeling “overwhelmed” and consumed by “terror” (vv.2,4). David was being gobbled up from the inside out.
I’m sure you can relate to his sinking feelings and physical symptoms. When we’re facing hardships in life, often we try to simply keep it all inside and present a calm facade to the world. But God has a different plan for our burdens: calling and casting. He inspired David to write, “I will call on God, and the Lord will rescue me” (v.16). As we pray to God, David tells us to “cast [our] cares on the Lord and He will sustain [us]” (v.22 NIV).
What burden is weighing heavy on you today? What’s devouring you from the inside out? Follow David’s inspired words: Call out to God and cast your burdens on Him. He won’t allow you to “slip and fall” (v.22). —Tom Felten
Read Luke 22:39 and note Jesus’ inner agony and its physical effects. Notice how He was comforted amid His calling and casting.
How have your burdens been affecting you? Why is it so important to call and cast them instead of internalizing them?
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more