Top Christian Music Videos
Those who are mature. . . recognize the
difference between right and wrong (v.14).
I recently read an article about a site where Web
chatters are exposed to random strangers from
around the world. As the article states, “One minute
you’re chatting via Webcam with a mom of two [in the
US] and the next you’re staring at a stark-naked man in
Bangkok.” One psychiatrist calls the site “a predator’s
paradise.” Definitely not a destination for the discerning!
The writer of Hebrews provides us with a helpful wakeup
call to make sure we’re growing in discernment. He
wrote to his readers, “There is much more we would like
to say about this, but it is difficult to explain, especially
since you are spiritually dull and don’t seem to listen”
(Hebrews 5:11). The words “spiritually dull” literally
mean dimwitted and negligent. (Words that definitely
apply to people using the Web site mentioned earlier!)
Back when Hebrews was written, the Christians in
house churches in Rome (to whom the letter was likely
addressed), were struggling to maintain their faith and to
live it out with conviction. Christians who show a lack of
discernment today often wrestle with the same two issues.
So how can you become more discerning?
• Do what you know. The believers in Rome had been
well fed spiritually, but they lived like spiritual babies
(v.12). They acted as if they didn’t “know how to do
what is right” (v.13). We become more discerning when
we actively live out the truths of God’s Word.
• Train your mind for action. We can better tell right from wrong as we train
our minds (v.14), and “prepare [them] for action” (1 Peter 1:13 NIV). This
includes continually growing in our knowledge of God’s Word and consciously
applying its wisdom to our choices.
It’s not discerning to do stuff like chatting online with random strangers.
Instead, let’s pursue discerning lives as we live out God’s truth. —Tom Felten
Read Philippians 1:9-10
to see the good things
that result from the
and understanding that
How have you lacked
discernment lately? What
will you do to grow more
discerning in Jesus?
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more
- Needs Met - What hungers do you think God most wants to satisfy in your life?...read more