Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
Those who are mature. . . recognize the
difference between right and wrong (v.14).
I recently read an article about a site where Web
chatters are exposed to random strangers from
around the world. As the article states, “One minute
you’re chatting via Webcam with a mom of two [in the
US] and the next you’re staring at a stark-naked man in
Bangkok.” One psychiatrist calls the site “a predator’s
paradise.” Definitely not a destination for the discerning!
The writer of Hebrews provides us with a helpful wakeup
call to make sure we’re growing in discernment. He
wrote to his readers, “There is much more we would like
to say about this, but it is difficult to explain, especially
since you are spiritually dull and don’t seem to listen”
(Hebrews 5:11). The words “spiritually dull” literally
mean dimwitted and negligent. (Words that definitely
apply to people using the Web site mentioned earlier!)
Back when Hebrews was written, the Christians in
house churches in Rome (to whom the letter was likely
addressed), were struggling to maintain their faith and to
live it out with conviction. Christians who show a lack of
discernment today often wrestle with the same two issues.
So how can you become more discerning?
• Do what you know. The believers in Rome had been
well fed spiritually, but they lived like spiritual babies
(v.12). They acted as if they didn’t “know how to do
what is right” (v.13). We become more discerning when
we actively live out the truths of God’s Word.
• Train your mind for action. We can better tell right from wrong as we train
our minds (v.14), and “prepare [them] for action” (1 Peter 1:13 NIV). This
includes continually growing in our knowledge of God’s Word and consciously
applying its wisdom to our choices.
It’s not discerning to do stuff like chatting online with random strangers.
Instead, let’s pursue discerning lives as we live out God’s truth. —Tom Felten
Read Philippians 1:9-10
to see the good things
that result from the
and understanding that
How have you lacked
discernment lately? What
will you do to grow more
discerning in Jesus?
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more