VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
New Kind of Father
If you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him (Luke 11:13).
Many people struggle in their daily life due to a poor relationship with their earthly fathers. I’ve counseled some who tend to humanize and view God through the lens of their negative experience. Many believers in Jesus also get tripped up in their relationship with their heavenly Father. If their earthly dads have failed them, it’s hard for them to believe that God won’t do the same.
Still, Jesus pointed to a heavenly “Father.” Time and time again, He addressed His “Father” and taught His followers to do the same when they prayed (Luke 11:2). And after His resurrection from the dead, Jesus referred to God as both “My Father and your Father” (John 20:17).
Jesus spoke of God as “Father,” though God was no ordinary dad. He was revealing to us a father unlike the world had ever seen. Jesus was opening our eyes to the kind of amazing father He portrayed in the parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32).
The parable, which is more about the dad than the son, presents an image that goes far beyond anything one would expect of a father. A Jewish father in that day would nothave accepted the prodigal son back with open arms. Instead, he would have disowned his son for disgracing the family and would likely have had him stoned for his rebellion (Deuteronomy 21:18-21).
But Jesus was not describing a father based on the men of His day. He was declaring that there’s a Father who will never let us down—One who is full of grace, mercy, and love. Paul wrote, “God is so rich in mercy, and He loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life” (Ephesians 2:4-5).
Read Romans 8:15 and consider that “Abba” is an Aramaic word for “Daddy”—a word a child would use for his father.
What qualities come to mind when you think of your heavenly Father? Why is it vital that you have a true view of Him?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more