Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
New Kind of Father
If you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him (Luke 11:13).
Many people struggle in their daily life due to a poor relationship with their earthly fathers. I’ve counseled some who tend to humanize and view God through the lens of their negative experience. Many believers in Jesus also get tripped up in their relationship with their heavenly Father. If their earthly dads have failed them, it’s hard for them to believe that God won’t do the same.
Still, Jesus pointed to a heavenly “Father.” Time and time again, He addressed His “Father” and taught His followers to do the same when they prayed (Luke 11:2). And after His resurrection from the dead, Jesus referred to God as both “My Father and your Father” (John 20:17).
Jesus spoke of God as “Father,” though God was no ordinary dad. He was revealing to us a father unlike the world had ever seen. Jesus was opening our eyes to the kind of amazing father He portrayed in the parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32).
The parable, which is more about the dad than the son, presents an image that goes far beyond anything one would expect of a father. A Jewish father in that day would nothave accepted the prodigal son back with open arms. Instead, he would have disowned his son for disgracing the family and would likely have had him stoned for his rebellion (Deuteronomy 21:18-21).
But Jesus was not describing a father based on the men of His day. He was declaring that there’s a Father who will never let us down—One who is full of grace, mercy, and love. Paul wrote, “God is so rich in mercy, and He loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life” (Ephesians 2:4-5).
Read Romans 8:15 and consider that “Abba” is an Aramaic word for “Daddy”—a word a child would use for his father.
What qualities come to mind when you think of your heavenly Father? Why is it vital that you have a true view of Him?
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more