After 35What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?
Top Music Videos
New Kind of Father
If you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him (Luke 11:13).
Many people struggle in their daily life due to a poor relationship with their earthly fathers. I’ve counseled some who tend to humanize and view God through the lens of their negative experience. Many believers in Jesus also get tripped up in their relationship with their heavenly Father. If their earthly dads have failed them, it’s hard for them to believe that God won’t do the same.
Still, Jesus pointed to a heavenly “Father.” Time and time again, He addressed His “Father” and taught His followers to do the same when they prayed (Luke 11:2). And after His resurrection from the dead, Jesus referred to God as both “My Father and your Father” (John 20:17).
Jesus spoke of God as “Father,” though God was no ordinary dad. He was revealing to us a father unlike the world had ever seen. Jesus was opening our eyes to the kind of amazing father He portrayed in the parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32).
The parable, which is more about the dad than the son, presents an image that goes far beyond anything one would expect of a father. A Jewish father in that day would nothave accepted the prodigal son back with open arms. Instead, he would have disowned his son for disgracing the family and would likely have had him stoned for his rebellion (Deuteronomy 21:18-21).
But Jesus was not describing a father based on the men of His day. He was declaring that there’s a Father who will never let us down—One who is full of grace, mercy, and love. Paul wrote, “God is so rich in mercy, and He loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life” (Ephesians 2:4-5).
Read Romans 8:15 and consider that “Abba” is an Aramaic word for “Daddy”—a word a child would use for his father.
What qualities come to mind when you think of your heavenly Father? Why is it vital that you have a true view of Him?
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more
- What a Friend! - What does it mean to you to have a friend in Jesus?...read more