Persecuted but GrowingHave you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?
Top Christian Music Videos
New Kind of Father
If you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him (Luke 11:13).
Many people struggle in their daily life due to a poor relationship with their earthly fathers. I’ve counseled some who tend to humanize and view God through the lens of their negative experience. Many believers in Jesus also get tripped up in their relationship with their heavenly Father. If their earthly dads have failed them, it’s hard for them to believe that God won’t do the same.
Still, Jesus pointed to a heavenly “Father.” Time and time again, He addressed His “Father” and taught His followers to do the same when they prayed (Luke 11:2). And after His resurrection from the dead, Jesus referred to God as both “My Father and your Father” (John 20:17).
Jesus spoke of God as “Father,” though God was no ordinary dad. He was revealing to us a father unlike the world had ever seen. Jesus was opening our eyes to the kind of amazing father He portrayed in the parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32).
The parable, which is more about the dad than the son, presents an image that goes far beyond anything one would expect of a father. A Jewish father in that day would nothave accepted the prodigal son back with open arms. Instead, he would have disowned his son for disgracing the family and would likely have had him stoned for his rebellion (Deuteronomy 21:18-21).
But Jesus was not describing a father based on the men of His day. He was declaring that there’s a Father who will never let us down—One who is full of grace, mercy, and love. Paul wrote, “God is so rich in mercy, and He loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life” (Ephesians 2:4-5).
Read Romans 8:15 and consider that “Abba” is an Aramaic word for “Daddy”—a word a child would use for his father.
What qualities come to mind when you think of your heavenly Father? Why is it vital that you have a true view of Him?
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more
- Needs Met - What hungers do you think God most wants to satisfy in your life?...read more